Virgin Media Discussion Thread

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You can't change the superhub (modem part), you can only put it in modem only mode and use your own router so your public IP will stay the same.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It should not just randomly break but if something happens to it VM will send a new one in most instances and activate that. They will not activate customer supplied modems though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah it would get a new ip.

Alternatively you could just disconnect it for a day or so and it may grab a new one. I've done this before the superhub days.

Soldato
Yes this is correct. Virgin Media will not activated your modem unless Virgin Media sent out their own modem with mac address on your account and will match it and activated it. Different mac address and different modem mean Virgin Media will not activated your item.

Associate
Yes this is correct. Virgin Media will not activated your modem unless Virgin Media sent out their own modem with mac address on your account and will match it and activated it. Different mac address and different modem mean Virgin Media will not activated your item.

Aye, when I upgraded to 100mbit we had to get the superhub and when we did the fella had to authorise it so that it would have access to the network.

Soldato
clone the mac address onto the new modem/router?

when I worked with ntl back many moons ago we regularly came across modems being cloned for nefarious purposes should be easy enough to do it to change yours out

no doubt this will put you in breach of your T&Cs though so don't get caught

Soldato
I'm having issues with Amazon linking two seller accounts (long story and nothing untoward, it's just better to run multiple accounts) so I need a new IP and MAC address. Is getting a new box from virgin the only option then? What do you guys think?

Caporegime
Just bought a TP Link 3600 wireless router as the Superhub (SH) provided by Virgin for the 100Mb package is shocking. Do I need to make the SH switch to modem mode, connect it to the router with a network cable and enjoy more than one bar of connection in my bedroom? Going to try 2.4Ghz for the rest of the house and 5Ghz for me as I am currently the only n device in the house. I would like to beef up the security - what are my options? Only users are my landlord's PC and her iP5, my PC/tablet/phone/work laptop and iP4S/iP5 when the daughter/sons visit.

Is it worth me trying one of these third party firmwares I keep seeing mentioned? Cheers :)

Associate
1.5mbit/s from VM last night in my heavily oversubscribed area. Yeah go Virgin.

At least I haven't paid them since Jan when the problem started due to frequent complaining.

Back
Top Bottom