Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
Does anyone know how long it takes on average, after they've posted the slip through your door stating it's now available, for it to show on their online checker?

If I were to order, it would be online when a cashback deal becomes available, so don't want to do it over the phone.

Soldato
...you dont have to even install the new equipment iv found out, since they never have de activatred anything as long as you dont connect the new stuff i imagine thats when they do.

What you think you have discovered bears no relation to how a cable network works in the UK. Your service is provisioned by MAC address, once an account is closed down, your MAC will no longer receive any form of paid service - that's one of the basics of the provisioning system, it won't let you install a new account without closing the previous one, it's simply not possible by design. In the case of the TV side, you can still receive the unencrypted feeds, but that's it - that's why the process required you to call the SAC on a self install.

Associate
I use the Orbi mesh system with 3 satellites around the house.. normally I pull near 400mb and I am on the 350mb package however since yesterday it is pulling more like 40..... can’t seem to work out why? Anyone any ideas?

Associate
I use the Orbi mesh system with 3 satellites around the house.. normally I pull near 400mb and I am on the 350mb package however since yesterday it is pulling more like 40..... can’t seem to work out why? Anyone any ideas?
Was this just temporary or consistent for longer than an hour or so?
My USG polls internet speed every few hours and looking back over the past week you can see times where the Virgin speed properly drops off for a few hours, but then is back to full later.

Soldato
Installed my Nest WiFi router last night.

Speeds on my phone have gone from 70mbps to 220mpbs - When in the same room

When on the third floor (Router is in the ground) I've gone from between 1-30 Mbps to 70-100mbps.

I thought I may have needed to buy an additional Nest Point but glad to save some money and not need it

Soldato
VM has been down for several hours now. No warning they just pulled the plug at 2.04am. it's clearly planned as they have a very definite end time on their system status checker of 0650. It would be the one night I have to work and be online wouldn't it. Useless Muppets. I've also fuelled up on caffeine so I can't even sleep instead. So many words I want use right now. None of them pleasant.

Soldato
While obviously frustrating to you personally, you have to appreciate that they’ve scheduled maintenance at the quietest point of the day to ensure that the overwhelming majority of people will not even notice. Don’t they have a status page for planned maintenance by area? They certainly used to.

Soldato
How hard is it too send an email warning? I could have rescheduled everything had I just known in advance. But no. Let's just let him look like a tit when he disappears mid flow and doesn't reappear for 5 hours by which time it's too late.

Caporegime
How did you look like a tit? If your connection goes down, you drop an email to the relevant work colleague and explain the situation. If you didn't bother doing that then...

Everyone is aware of how poor Virgin's customer service is, so I don't know why anyone would expect an update before your line goes down in the early hours of the morning. I haven't even had that from other, more well regarded ISPs in the past when my line has gone down. If you need a rock solid line for business/work then a Virgin residential connection was a big mistake to start with.

Back
Top Bottom