Virgin Media Discussion Thread

RJC

RJC

Don
Think I will be going back to Virgin - The 1gig for £39.99 with Quidco and hopefully with £126.00 cash back.

Was with BT for the past few years but the offers are not great - Luckily I can get FTTP which I had - 300mb speeds.

Associate
Have seen Virgin contractors rolling out cabling in my street. Asked them if it was Nexfibre, they confirmed it was but could not give me a possible service start date which I was eager to find out. I am currently on FTTC 50/10 from Zen. This Virgin offering will be the first FTTP in my area, so not a lot of choice, and would be looking at 1gigabit for upload/download service. Have a couple of questions for anyone who has Virgin Nexifbre.

My BT master socket is located in upstairs bedroom where current router is situated. I know Virgin do not use master sockets but install their own cabling/plates. During installation can one opt to have it installed upstairs ? I prefer wired connections rather than wireless, so dont want the hub downstairs as have not ethernet cabling between upstairs and downstairs.
and 2nd question, does the Virgin hub 5 offer bridge mode ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Both my FTTP cables from different providers were pulled in through existing ducts / wall plate’s. I live in a flat though so I don’t know how virgin would go about it.

Soldato
my contract is expiring come end of april , £22.84 M125 , also 02 sim 4gb data £5.82 is expiring same time dont care for the sim can get cheaper 1 month rolling

went through chat was offered £25 for M125 told them new customers get it cheaper through compare sites £90 bill credit works out £21.50 didnt work lol , been customer ever since it was called telewest last month or 2 street finally got full fibre but only offerings are from BT, Talk Talk, vodafone and offers aint any better :( I'll try again see if another agent offers anything better I got till 1 month

Soldato
A router with at least 2 x 2.5Gb ports. I'm using this one with Merlin firmware for that reason so one port from the SH5 and the other to my PC motherboard which is 2.5Gb

How are you getting on with this Asus router?

Do you recommend it?

Soldato
Have seen Virgin contractors rolling out cabling in my street. Asked them if it was Nexfibre, they confirmed it was but could not give me a possible service start date which I was eager to find out. I am currently on FTTC 50/10 from Zen. This Virgin offering will be the first FTTP in my area, so not a lot of choice, and would be looking at 1gigabit for upload/download service. Have a couple of questions for anyone who has Virgin Nexifbre.

My BT master socket is located in upstairs bedroom where current router is situated. I know Virgin do not use master sockets but install their own cabling/plates. During installation can one opt to have it installed upstairs ? I prefer wired connections rather than wireless, so dont want the hub downstairs as have not ethernet cabling between upstairs and downstairs.
and 2nd question, does the Virgin hub 5 offer bridge mode ?
Within reason they will install where you like. General rules and common sense apply eg. they can only officially bring it in via the front of the property, if you want it pulled under the floor boards or through the loft, they will drop the cable off and let you get on with it on the understanding that they wont deal with the re-pull if it develops a fault as they cant crawl about in your un-boarded loft or lifting your floorboards. They also can’t climb on roofs, or use ladders above a certain height.

All VM Hubs since the first Motorola Surfboard have supported modem mode, thats not going to change.

Soldato
How are you getting on with this Asus router?

Do you recommend it?

Shhh! Mentioning Asus routers here is a bit like criticising Putin while standing on a street in Moscow. :D

Putting my fear to one side I will say that mine has been great for over a year. I've been running the Merlin firmware which thankfully gives you an option of two versions of the same firmware; the new slightly garish menu system or the old familiar Asus one.

The Wi-fi range is amongst the best routers I've tested and owned, easily covering all 3 storeys of my home and all the way to the back of the garden.
I also set up a VPN server on it which works great. I'm out of the country quite often (like now while typing this) and it makes it easy to watch Virgin TV, BTSport etc and also watch stuff I put on the 2 x 4TB SSD's I've plugged into the router.

It is highly recommend from me but if @Rainmaker comes looking for me you haven't seen me! ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All VM Hubs since the first Motorola Surfboard have supported modem mode, thats not going to change.
Now there's a name I'd forgotten about!

1520238647683.jpg

Classic :D

Soldato
my contract is up end of April when logging into my account goto offers currently on M125 I see upgrade my speed M250 £25.00 if I select not interested it gives another offer M125 for £23.00

I still have time so will wait and try chat online see if anything better can be offered I know I could just go ahead with canceling and hope rententions contacts me with better offer but I dont have great alternatives BT, Talk talk, Vodafone not offering anything cheaper

Last edited:
Soldato
Ordered last night as cash back went to £137 for the 1gb service. Should have the hub delivered Saturday!
The mark of a good ISP is not having to deal or interact with them post install. VM aren’t renowned for the best network or lowest latency, but honestly other than renewal negotiations, I never had to contact them and it more or less just worked as expected. Of course fibre is lower latency, symmetrical and cheaper, but I wouldn’t have an issue going back to VM for similar money.

Reactions: RJC
Soldato
They were fine to deal with but expensive tbh. I'm using 5g now and getting up to 800mbit for £20. No stability issues so far. Couldn't pass on that deal, so much quicker.

Soldato
Tried the chat online it directed me to whatsapp which I used but all seemed automated......I refused all offers and closed it.

Shall I wait for any email offers from them now? or is there another online chat they have?

Back
Top Bottom