Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
The VM service is just unreliable in general - it doesn't matter what speed you're on! Also terrible for latency - but if it's the only option in the area (apart from FTTC) there's nothing that can really be done.

been with cable since it was called blueyonder, maybe going 20+ years now was the only option for faster speeds in my area and its been very reliable in that time its probably gone down 2-3 times I would say thats pretty good going , but I would mention the supplied router wasnt great think it was superhub 2 or 3 wifi would stop every few days think it had issues handling multiple wifi devices but buying my own router sorted that, did get superhub 5 but that went into modem mode straight away so not tested it with wifi

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair, maybe it’s fine in a lot of areas, but the customer support and complaints processes when there is a problem aren’t.

Ofcom are investigating Virgin over their complaints and cancellation policies, which supports the idea that there are a lot of issues with VM’s customer service.

Soldato
To be fair, maybe it’s fine in a lot of areas, but the customer support and complaints processes when there is a problem aren’t.

Ofcom are investigating Virgin over their complaints and cancellation policies, which supports the idea that there are a lot of issues with VM’s customer service.

my contract ends end of this month , went on live chat on site and they gave me offer which I declined and asked me if I wanted to proceed to cancel also the date to end services maybe its because of the complaints

hopefully they also drop this mid contract price rises with no option to leave which of course all do that

Associate
I'll add another voice to my VM internet has been fine, better than my experiences with both BT and sky, and we have the options of both open reach FTTP and one of the Alt nets dug up the road 18 months ago too.

CS is we get a good service and good renewals because they know we have options ;)

I also fully understand no matter what service you are on if it sucks, there's no point holding your breath expecting them to fix it.

Soldato
I was due to have Virgin Internet installed back in March but they delayed it to beginning of April as they hadn't got the permit to dig the pavement.

3 days before the install date I get an email saying it's been delayed again to May due to the same reason.

So I rang the council who advised me two permits were given to Virgin for the work and if I look outside my house I'd see evidence that it was complete. I go outside and see the work has acrually been done....great I thought.

I call Virgin asking why they delayed the install again and provided them with the permit numbers. They couldn't tell me why it's been delayed twice.

Im not sure if I should just cancel and try another fibre csble company like BRSK instead

Associate
I was due to have Virgin Internet installed back in March but they delayed it to beginning of April as they hadn't got the permit to dig the pavement.

3 days before the install date I get an email saying it's been delayed again to May due to the same reason.

So I rang the council who advised me two permits were given to Virgin for the work and if I look outside my house I'd see evidence that it was complete. I go outside and see the work has acrually been done....great I thought.

I call Virgin asking why they delayed the install again and provided them with the permit numbers. They couldn't tell me why it's been delayed twice.
So you've been trying to contact the pre installs team with permit numbers but you’ve gotten nowhere?
Im not sure if I should just cancel and try another fibre csble company like BRSK instead
Only suggestion I’ve got is to ask them for assistance on their community forums or X/Twitter.

If you’re in a HFC area (you can check on bidb.uk), however, BRSK or another FTTP provider would probably be the better option (though not sure how long it would take to get installed, but Virgin is taking a long time for you anyway)

Last edited:
Associate
16035462639.png

Soldato
So you've been trying to contact the pre installs team with permit numbers but you’ve gotten nowhere?

Only suggestion I’ve got is to ask them for assistance on their community forums or X/Twitter.

If you’re in a HFC area (you can check on bidb.uk), however, BRSK or another FTTP provider would probably be the better option (though not sure how long it would take to get installed, but Virgin is taking a long time for you anyway)

Thank you that website is really helpful. It shows someone two doors down from me has a Virgin media application on 29th April. I don't know what that means for my install but it seems promising if someone else on my street is getting it....my neighbour already had it

Associate
Thank you that website is really helpful. It shows someone two doors down from me has a Virgin media application on 29th April. I don't know what that means for my install but it seems promising if someone else on my street is getting it....my neighbour already had it
bidb.uk location isn't exact, although it is close.

Soldato
Update: ordered BRSK last night at 5pm... engineer came this morning and install it all. 900Mbps on the download and upload :cool:

Going to cancel Virgin
Ordred brsk in Nov 2022. Still waiting for our area to go live.

I’ve had to sign up for another 18 months with VM as not sure brsk will be here anytime soon.

Rolling contract with VM would be £136 per month. So signed up again with a retentions deal.

If and when brsk turn up il just have to have a dual wan setup.

Soldato
So they’re greedy because they are doing exactly what you both agreed to in the contract (xx months with discount off retail price, then retail price on a 30 day rolling contract)? They’re a business, they operate introductory/contract pricing with an increase at the end of that, it’s the same with mortgage deals/credit cards and energy (less so in a capped market). You aren’t being greedy by negotiating a new contract any more than they are by sticking to the old one. Book a disconnection and new install if you want the best deal, use Quidco/TCB or whatever site has the best offer for your needs, but don’t expect them to fall over themselves trying to throw money at you to stay just because, that’s not how business generally works.
They literally offer every different customer a different price, clearly is an algorithm there to maximise profit per end user. Only 3 days ago someone was offered a price for my package I would have happily agreed to on my renewal.

If it was a no bull**** approach where you have one price for every customer such as what AAISP do then no qualms. But Virgin Media make customers jump through hoops to pay the same as another customer pays for a service.

It is also actually more expensive to provide a service to a new customer than an existing one, as you have acquisition costs, costs of activating/installing network, supply equipment etc. If anything a new customer logically would be paying more than an existing loyal customer, and there is businesses out there that actually give long standing customers lower prices than new one's to reflect this.

Greed is basically trying to get more money for something than you actually need. VM actively sell products to customers at a certain price which means it is viable to do so, and so e.g. tripling someone's price merely because they out of contract falls under the definition of greed (yes my out of contract price is triple, this is not a misleading phrase), they basically chancing it as a customer who doesn't act is then over paying for the service, you have jumped in twice now on my posts, just looking at he legal aspect of it, but there is no moral aspect in your way of thinking, you seem to just look at the law and think is it legal? if yes then there is no problem with it. Of course most human's by nature are greedy and companies with shareholders have to be greedy to satisfy their shareholders, but there is a point where it goes too far. Mobile providers recently e.g. have got into trouble for not reducing contract prices automatically after a phone is paid off.

Also to save a reply on the CF thread, it turns out CF didn't get my reply, as they emailed me Friday asking where my reply was, I am guessing their email server has issues accepting inbound emails, so I sent a new one with the CEO in the CC, as I already know he can receive emails from gmail, and photos as gdrive links in case they have issues with attachments.

I don't know why your responses on ISPs are so aggressive, defensive of ISP's in general, and also applying incorrect terminology, you free to look up the dictionary definition of greed.

Last edited:
Soldato
No sim included, just 1000/1000 package,

AFAIK its 60 days, but people have done it after 30, if you have someone else at the address, you can just sign up as them, I just had 1 day of downtime, 15th internet went off, then the 16th new installation happened :)

Excellent deal then.

I live alone, so if I go down the route of someone else signing up, having to hope they accept their name at my address even though they dont live here. I did this once for my sister years ago (she couldnt sign up due to bad debt, so I signed of the contract, VM knew I didnt live there as the sales rep drove me back home).

Back
Top Bottom