Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Coming to the end of my Black Friday deal. What exact steps did you take for this offer? Did you just ring up and cancel then wait?
Was this the first callback you got ?

Rang up and did thinking of leaving, got offered our same package for £78 which was the price the price rise brought it up to. Kept asking to be put through to leaving team saying wasn't good enough, best they could offer was 76 and I was like nope sorry put me through.

Handed in my 30 day notice, they couldn't offer any better.

Monday morning I rang a retentions number I found on a forum 02037436951 and spoke with someone saying I received a missed call from retentions (i hadn't but just said i had) they looked at my package and said they had to speak with a manager as they readied it to have number ported.

I got a call back from another number about 30 minutes or so later as advised and the guy was super friendly and just asked what he could do for me. I just said the cost was to high, in the past all I could do was Virgin as everyone else could only offer 80mb or less but now I have options as i can get 900 with Vodafone, Sky, Openreach etc.

Told him what I wanted and what other ISP's were offering and he said I can do all of that for £44 asked about another box and he said usually £10 a month extra but he would do it for £5 and make it £49 altogether.

I could have probably waited until closer to disconnection and tried my luck but was happy with the price as nowhere else was offering what he offered so I took it there and then.

Last edited:
Associate
Some of you might recall I cancelled (1 gig volted on superhub 5)and signed up in my wives name at the same address; retentions offers were poor and meant £20+ a month saving, £50 bill credit and £60 quidco cashback.

They cancelled my internet at midnight, the "new router" (hub 3 (more on this later)) provided arrived later the same day, plugged in and up and running again; albeit on VM500, knowing full well it would get o2 volted to 1gbit due to being an O2 customer.

I sympathise for anyone who has the misfortune of this absolutely terrible router, no wonder I read so many instances where people run in modem only mode and source their own router. In order to get the desired speeds over wireless you had to be literally stood within 1 foot. I don't live in a particularly large house but my phone was falling back to 5G because of the poor wireless signal in areas where full signal was available previously everywhere and even near the bottom of the garden.. first world problems i know.

3-4 days later, wife got an email saying that they she was getting volted and a new router was on the way, thank goodness!
Why they couldn't check volt eligibility at point of order escapes me, hopefully they will improve on this and save themselves and customers time and money in the near future.

Now the fun task of dropping off my original superhub 5 (under my name) and the potato hub 3, annoyingly has to be Yodel drop off only which is an inconvenience but never mind!

One observation I have made is that VPN traffic appears to be getting blocked on iOS devices since the new connection.. having researched this I think it might be to do with child safety settings defaulting to ON, but have yet to look into further.

Last edited:
Associate
Edit: Just checked and it is actually £65 a month.

The deal is...

Volt Gig 1 Broadband, Mega TV, Additional TV Box, Virgin TV 360 box, Netflix Standard, Virgin 360 Mini Box, Sky Sports Ultra HD, TNT Sports, Kids Pick, Sky Sports and Cinema Collection, Sky Sports HD Pack, Anytime Chatter, Line Rental.

18 Month contract

Grr, I need to be less of a pushover that's basically my package that I just agreed a £76 renewal thinking that was decent :rolleyes: I was all set to cancel and go with youfibre but when I tallied up all the bits I'd have to get to match what I use it was all a bit disjointed, the positive/negatives were in favour of Virgin and there was no real saving, so if they matched what I was paying I'd be happy, but seeing that I'm not :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Grr, I need to be less of a pushover that's basically my package that I just agreed a £76 renewal thinking that was decent :rolleyes: I was all set to cancel and go with youfibre but when I tallied up all the bits I'd have to get to match what I use it was all a bit disjointed, the positive/negatives were in favour of Virgin and there was no real saving, so if they matched what I was paying I'd be happy, but seeing that I'm not :D

I wouldn't be too disheartened. The problem with Virgin is it is literally pot luck on who picks up the phone at what time of the day. I have similar deal to the above but have Sky Sports UHD upgrade as well and pay £77 per month for that but it took 3 goes at calling to get that price as the first time I was offered £105 and the second time £91. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to time of day as I've tried calling early and late too.

Associate
It's turned into a bit of a screw up, I've lost channels and have 5 contracts with different amounts and discounts.....spending too much time on the phone trying to resolve, might just cancel the lot, things shouldn't be this difficult, removal of my services, very quick, getting them back, not so much.

Last edited:
Associate
Might be worth doing that - there’s a cooling off period.

I’m presuming you’ve at least lost TNT - that’s no longer standard.

When the service is good (or at least, it’s been done as it should be), it’s fine. But they certainly are a nightmare when it comes to dealing with issues.

I’ve personally gone for the combo of EE FTTP and Sky TV (no AltNets near me, annoyingly) - might be a bit more expensive but at least you are rid of Virgin

Associate
£41 is incredible value for money for gigabit broadband when you think even relatively recently we would be paying £30+ for 80Mbps (if you were lucky and had a short, good quality line)

Associate
Vodafone are actually doing it for £39 (though I understand that they are worse for latency/routing)

I'm jealous lol - I'm going to be paying £35 for 500mbps with EE.

Associate
I’ve personally gone for the combo of EE FTTP and Sky TV (no AltNets near me, annoyingly) - might be a bit more expensive but at least you are rid of Virgin

How are you getting Sky TV, eetv or Sky stream?

I actually want the TV for F1 and UHD content, phone etc, as far as I can tell if I move to You Fibre I can't get these things for a decent price or have to put up with ads.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m having SkyQ installed (my mum is very traditional)
How are you getting Sky TV, eetv or Sky stream?

I actually want the TV, phone etc, as far as I can tell if I move to You Fibre I can't get these things for a decent price.

Sky Stream is a little cheaper I believe if you can do without recordings, though I hear there is a longer delay for sports then SkyQ

Nowadays EE/BT TV is more like Now but with recordings, but you do get both Sky/TNT Sports included in the full bundle price - however you do have to have EE BB to get it.

Last edited:
Associate
Sky Q is pretty decent, its UHD content was superior to the streamed stuff from Virgin, I could go back to that but the mini q boxes aren't nice on the network and neither is its hub.

We record most programs but tend to use UHD streams if they exist to watch without ads.

Last edited:
Associate
I do hear that the Sky hub may have improved a bit - they’ve stopped using the Q Hub as far as I know. Though I think the mini box situation would be the same.

It’s annoying that the change from BT Sports to TNT has made it even more annoying to access (removed from Virgin’s full package)

My proposal would be some Freeview DVRs and then the Now Entertainment, Cinema and Sports passes but that doesn’t get you TNT.

Last edited:
Associate
Can’t say I have ever received a call from retentions and been with them on and off since the change from Blueyonder. Obviously just don’t like me :D

We’ve been with them 7 years (but we do have a very expensive package) so I can see why they want the custom.

I guess loyalty doesn’t contribute much.

Soldato
It does not at all.

I have been with them for 20+ years and loyalty means nothing to them now. It used to mean something in the past but not today.

New customers get all the deals while loyal ones get sweet fa
Need to be lucky and have both virgin and fibre available and flick between the 2, seems the best way to get a decent price :mad:

Back
Top Bottom