Virgin Media issues but looking at work around.

Associate
Hey,

Virgin Media in my area are having some major issues.

Short version. My box is supplying wifi service, poor, but it is there. However all the rear ports no longer work and my house is pretty much wired via a few routers so.... most of our PC's and Consoles are down.

I'm looking at options and need some help. I've just purchase two (Cheap) wifi USB's that seemed to connect at 20 megs and have now dropped to 5megs.

My APPLE phone that sits next to my PC is able to connect to the wifi at 35megs.

So.... Questions....

1. If my phone can connect at 35megs, why can't my USB's (one for me and one for my son). Is it because they're cheap?
2. Is there a way to use my APPLE phone as a kind of 'gateway' to the VM wifi? Can I Blue Tooth to it or plug it in and use it to connect?

I really appreciate you're help in advance. I built this new PC on the 22nd and it's now not been working since the 23rd as I hadn't downloaded any games and now don't ahve the connection speed. My old PC that went to my son also doesn't work as it's just to far from the Wifi VM box.

Regards

Lee

Soldato
Have you tried ringing Virgin, for a you know… free maybe upgrade replacement hub? Seeming it’s faulty.

Strange all Ethernet ports are dead. Has it been damaged in anyway?

Edit:In terms of improving your son’s PC can you run a Cat6 cable to connect it directly? Even running a cable out external walls round and back in would be ideal. Always beats Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

I have rung them. Apparently they've had a fault since 21st november..... quite how they managed to not fix it knowing Christmas is on the way is beyond me.

They've said they're going to send me a 'wired-booster'. I've no idea what that is and when I asked if it would plug into theback of the machine they said yes..... which is the problem I have now.

The issue is due to be fixed on the 3rd of January. But by this point I'll be back at work and kids at school..... so no Christmas break to enjoy our new toys.

They won't send a new box until the 'issue' is fixed as it may not be the box.

To be honest the conversation was a mass of contradictions on their part.

If there is no temporary work around then I'll just press on as is.

I don't understand what is happening with the wifi USB sticks as its telling me there is no signal whilst my phone happily connects.

Man of Honour
Sounds like the usual comedy VM support. A fault on their side of the network won't affect cabled connectivity into the hub within your house. The hub is faulty.

Caporegime
Phone VM back at 9am and pick the “thinking of leaving us” option. Network faults don’t stop the Ethernet ports on their cable modems from working, the device is faulty and needs replacing.

Can't type for toffee
Don
As above... a local network fault isnt in any way gonna affect ethernet ports your side of the hub lol

A wired booster? sounds like some kind of AP to me with an ethernet port on it, after all it cant be connected to the ethernet port can it :p

Back
Top Bottom