Virgin rumours???

Associate
Just wanted to know if these rumors are true. Been hearing that Virgin Media are doing a free upgrade at the end of October to the next package 10 to 20 20 to 50 MB just was wondering if this is true or a lot of rubbish ?

thanks

:cool::D:cool:

Can't type for toffee
Don
I remember this being bandied about a while back.
With the 50Mb needing a new router and possible engineer install seems unlikely 20Mb customers would get to 50Mb for free.

10>20Mb tho Im sure has happened before as Virgin slowly removed their lower tier products.

Soldato
if it was a free upgrade, they could just say its "upto" 50mb, and u just get the max u can get on your current equipment, and u'll have to replace it yourself if you wanted the full amount

i guess we'll find out soon what they have planned thou

Associate
Unless they up the 50mb to something I can't see them upgrading 20mb to 50mb.

They need a premium package to justify the price, and the 50mb does command a price but it's worth every last penny!

Soldato
i heard they are going upto 100mb, so that will be the new premium, weather the 50mb will get bumped up to that, or if they will just add it at an extra cost over 50mb

Soldato
The 100 meg service is supposed to be getting rolled out starting in Q4. It'll need new equipment (a combined modem/router) and definitely won't be a free upgrade lol 20Mbps customers won't get a free upgrade because, as said above, it'd mean giving away a huge amount of free modems and free engineer visits. It's just not cost effective.

I'm looking forward to upgrading to 100 megs, but more so for the 10Mbps upload. :)

Soldato
Well that is nice to know. As for the rumours I daubt 20Mb and 50Mb users will get any sort of free upgrade for a long time. Once BT deploys FTTC to more places and can realy start to compete with VM for high speed internet then I think VM will push to continue be ahead of what BT (and other DSL providers) can offer.

Soldato
I also heard the 50Mb would go to 100Mb (free upgrade). afew guys from VM said this.

also they said the 50Mb media hub will be free to customers on 50Mb already

Last edited:
Caporegime
IMO 20Mb will become the new bottom tier, and people that wish to remain on 20Mb will be able to do so and have a price cut.

Existing customers wanting 20Mb-->50Mb will probably have to pay for the equipment unless they commit for another year, new customers may get a discounted / free installation with their year's contract.

Then 100Mb will become the XXL tier with a small price hike.

Back
Top Bottom