Virgin setup additional superhub

Associate
Hi Guys,

Moved into new house only to find that there's something in the walls blocking the wireless signals..

The existing setup was a Virgin Superhub and TiVo box in the corner of the downstairs living room.. This meant that all of downstairs got good wifi as it's open plan but upstairs the wifi was extremely intermittent.

So I used a second router and stuck it in an upstairs bedroom connected through home plugs..

This gave Wifi to 2 of the bedrooms upstairs but still poor internet to the Master Bedroom and smallest bedroom.

Outside the house where the broadband cable comes off the road there is a splitter which sends one RG6 wire to the living room and the other goes above the garage but has been cut just before reaching the window of the Master Bedroom.

So my question is this: If I took the cut wire off and replaced with a new RG6, fed it into the master bedroom could I then connect a spare superhub I have to it and get wifi in the master bedroom. Also, does this mean I can relocate the TiVo box upstairs?

Finally, if I was to somehow get my hands on a spare tivo box could I attach this and create a multi room experience without paying an additional £7.50 a month to Virgin

Hope this makes sense..

Soldato
If I took the cut wire off and replaced with a new RG6, fed it into the master bedroom could I then connect a spare superhub I have to it and get wifi in the master bedroom.
No.
does this mean I can relocate the TiVo box upstairs
Possibly.
if I was to somehow get my hands on a spare tivo box could I attach this and create a multi room experience without paying an additional £7.50 a month to Virgin
Very unlikely.

They can see everything that's attached to the end of their cables. Everything needs to be authorised and activated.

Soldato
You appear to be wanting to connect TWO hubs to their cable. Even if they did let you have two hubs (not sure if they would or not) you'd need two separate subscriptions.

It sounds like they've provided a simple route for you to run an external network cable between the two floors. Do that and install an access point.

Permabanned
You can only have 1 HUB per account, that device your looking at for £7 is simply a WIFI extender/powerplug to get rid of blackspots.

I think you can get it free if you use their Mobile App and prove blackspots in your home but not 100% sure as I would rather buy something better.

Soldato
1 VM Hub per property only, run a cable and wire an AP in upstairs if you need better Wi-Fi or you may prefer mesh for ease of deployment - it’s technically inferior, but it’s better than what you describe now. You can’t legally ‘get your hands on’ another TiVo, they belong to VM. If you do, then at best you get the basic free channels on it and no recording/extra functions, a freeview/freeway box or a fire stick etc. would give you more.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Speak to VM live chat (right hand side icon) here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles

and haggle every now and then with them, I know some guys got a mutli room sub, V6 box and free install for sometimes 10 quid extra per month but u gotta haggle and just when the deal looks good haggle again and rinse and repeat till its literally in your house for free :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your replies..

I've decided that the best option would be to relocate the TIVO box upstairs, so to do this I need to run a RG59 cable from outside the house up the side of the garage and through into the master bedroom, there I will split the cable and have one go to the superhub and one go to the TIVO box.. The original cable that ran to the living room I can then attach a router to act as an access point so that the Wifi downstairs isn't affected..

How does this sound? and also not quite sure what is goig on with the wiring outside the house..

https://imgur.com/FbhSohR

The Black wire is the cable from the street which then connects to the top grey cable which heads off to the living room where it's connected to the superhub and TIVO. The black cable appears to have a thinner cable attached to it which has been split and connected to the other grey cable which goes into a splitter, on one end with a white wire that isn't connected to anything and the other end shoots up to the attic and not sure where it goes after that..

All very confusing..

Soldato
If the 'original cable that ran to the living room' is Cat5 or similar, then yes, you can plug whatever you eat on the end, if its coax, you can't plug an AP or anything else into it, the US uses MoCA, we don't over here and you'd need to isolate that from the VM network. The black wire is referred to as shotgun cable, coax and CW1308 in one cable, the coax is for your Tivo/Modem and the CW1308 contains the pairs used for a phone service. One drop may supply multiple properties, so before disconnecting the unknown cable check that it's not feeding a neighbour or you won't be very popular. To extend it just run direct from ether the cable that's been chopped or ideally re-pull from where the drop terminates, personally if it doesn't need to be split, i'd remove the splitter and seal the connection with self amalgamating tape or silicon grease, but that's just me.

Soldato
That’s irrelevant as you won’t be using MoCA. Think about this, you have a coax feed, your post indicates you want to plug in an router to act as an AP using it, your router uses RJ45, not coax.

Back
Top Bottom