Virgin users, how do you VPN?

Associate
I have been with Virgin Media for nearly a year and despite my best efforts (following sporadic online 'guides' and reading other pleas for help) i have been unable to VPN into work from home. This is important for me because ironically i work for a cloud computing company and getting this working will mean i can spend far more time working from home, and wouldnt have to come in on days like today when i'm feeling under the weather but have a critical deadline next week.

I know it's not my laptop settings becuase i can connect everywhere else. Its definatly the Virgin connection at home.

I have read that it is to do with the Router they give you, but the *fix* that works for some (flashing it with the manufacturers default firmware) hasnt solved the problem for me.

So first off i would like to know:

Are there any Virgin Media users on here that have VPN working on their setup (and what router do you use have) ?

And, can anyone recommend a cable router that DEFINITELY works with VPN?

Soldato
if you have a super hub thing ask for a normal modem, use your own router... their modem does no filtering as far as I am aware..

Soldato
I've had no trouble using VPN with my Virgin Media connection, however I have never used the standard firmware on any of the routers I've had. At the moment, I have a D-Link DIR-615 running DD-WRT instead of the standard firmware.

aln

aln

Associate
I can both VPN using PTPP and OpenVPN through the superhub. There are pass through settings in the GUI, so I guess one would need further information. Any error log?

Also which Cloud do you work for?

Soldato
VPN has to be enabled on the Router at work in order to let you tunnel through in to your work PC/network. So, if you're not in charge of the router at work, then you might want to ask someone there to set you up a VPN account or open up a port so you can connect to your PC there.

They may also give you some software in order to get VPN Set up, depending on the model of the router (We use a cisco router at work, so use quickVPN)

Soldato
[
VPN has to be enabled on the Router at work in order to let you tunnel through in to your work PC/network. So, if you're not in charge of the router at work, then you might want to ask someone there to set you up a VPN account or open up a port so you can connect to your PC there.

They may also give you some software in order to get VPN Set up, depending on the model of the router (We use a cisco router at work, so use quickVPN)

I know it's not my laptop settings becuase i can connect everywhere else. Its definatly the Virgin connection at home.

Soldato
I didn't know if he meant by everywhere, as in at work (if that's so, then why would he be needing help)

Ive also just VPN'd in to my work using our VPN Client and VMDG280 (Virgin Media Hub)

Associate
Does anyone in your work VPN in?

You need to chat to the guys who setup it up to get you enabled for access, this isn't a virgin problem.

You may need a client installed on your PC, or if you have a company laptop get the guys in work to install the client on it.

Back
Top Bottom