virii

Permabanned
am i the only person ever to think that maybe these "anti virus" firms such as norton etc, are the ones who release them in the first place ?

its got me wondering, the average nod32 update covers over 3000 viruses, and it updates every 2 weeks, i really cant see, in this day and age, what with americas anti terrorist cybercrime devisions, 3000 virii being made by script kiddies / hackers around the globe ?

Discuss.

Caporegime
whilst Norton ET Al are unlikely to be creating these virus's it is definately in their interest for people to continue producing them and creating a climate of "fear" with regards to Virus's, and Hackers. therefore i think there is some mutual backscratching and favours within the industry. When was the last time you heard of someone being prosecuted for producing one of these virii, apart from the odd mahoosive one that gets to the press...

Business is Business.

Soldato
Well Norton etc make lots of virii to protect against them and to stop those vulnerabilites being used against their software.

EDIT: Or so I thought was common knowledge? Maybe not... Surely they have to be ahead of the game though?

Last edited:
Soldato
On a similar note, i read a while ago that the people creating spyware/spam Trojans were putting in code to detect and remove *other* Trojans. So they can eliminate the competition.

The AV companies could just be adding virus definitions for viruses that don't exist.

Commissario
That was my question when the very first anti virus programs were released on Atari's and Amiga's.
Can't remember if BBC or C64's had them.
I do think they write some of the virii.

I think there were some around, but not very common as there was no real way to distribute them.

Now all it takes is a spotty kid with his dad's PC and a copy of "DIY Virus making for Dummies - You too can become truly leet", not to mention the number that allow people to make money (password stealing for internet banking, creating hoards of spam hosts etc).

Soldato
It highlights how useless most virus software is - it needs that 'signature' to identify the virus.

The next day ten people create new variants - and calling it a variant is generous given the tiny differences, but guess what - it needs a new signature to identify it!

Look at www.prevx.com - it's different and very intrusive, also quite slow - but I think it's a better idea.

Most anti-virus software runs fast, so fast you'll barely notice it's there, but it's also more a reassurance than a real protection.

Permabanned
Rather embarrassing to admit it, but many years ago I wrote one for the BBC Micro and unleashed it on the school network. Not something I'm particularly proud of now... :o

Cool! What did the virus do, what language was it written in, how did it propogate and what kind of network was it you were running on these BBC Micros?

Permabanned
Cool! What did the virus do, what language was it written in, how did it propogate and what kind of network was it you were running on these BBC Micros?

I don't remember seeing BBCs networked... was it some dodgy old token ring type thing? I remember the Archimedes machines being networked at school a few years later though and I had some fun with the notify function!

Haha.. this is bringing back memories of writing in BBC BASIC and also LOGO... not to mention playing Granny's Garden! :D

Back
Top Bottom