Virtual Desktop network spikes: Are there routers in the UK that support 5ghz channels over 48?

Soldato
88ou0e.jpg

Soldato
Hmm, I think may still have a Virgin Media hub 3 lying around in the garage that I could try and I do think you can split the bands with that router but will it work with a BT fibre line?
If you put it in bridge mode it probably will be fine.

Some people are saying that its unlikely congestion/interference but it is a likely cause... as mentioned the channels you've mentioned that are really utilised are non-DFS channels, the rest of the spectrum is also used by radar and radar trumps Wi-Fi, when radar signals are identified the Wi-Fi has to change network channel/frequency, this is called DFS, Dynamic frequency selection. There isn't really an issue to using them and 9/10 will make sure you don't have any co-channel interference.

If you could upload a photo of the channel spectrum you're seeing that would be ace and can explain a little more what is going on.

This is a good chart -

U-NII-3 have their own issues and some client devices don't support them as use of them was only condoned by OFCOM in 2020 (March off the top of my head)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, I think may still have a Virgin Media hub 3 lying around in the garage that I could try and I do think you can split the bands with that router but will it work with a BT fibre line?

I think that would work. No harm in trying it anyway. If you have trouble setting it up, just post back here.

EDIT. Sorry, realised I should probably write quick instructions.

On Virgin Media router, turn off DHCP and DNS. Configure a static IP to be in the same range as BT Super Hub. Turn off the 2.4 Ghz wireless. Setup an SSID and password on the 5Ghz that only the Quest 2 uses. Connect a network cable from the LAN ports on the Super Hub to a LAN port on the Virgin Media Hub.

Then connect your Quest 2 to it and see what happens :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Quick update:

It turns out that I don't have the virgin hub after all and must have sent it back when I switched over to BT.

I also ended up disabling the BT wifi hotspots that are on by default on the smart hub and since then I have had quite a several long sessions of Half-Life Alyx and finally managed to complete it (wow what an experience!) with no network spikes.

Half-Life Alyx is very hungry and it has to be running with steamvr in the background which doesn't help with performance. I find that if I log out and login again, it resets my vram usage to around 500-600mb and when I play HLA for long sessions, it is a smooth experience with no performance hitches if I relog.

I now try to avoid using steamvr altogether and try to force either Openxr via VDXR or Oculus runtime in games as they perform much better than steamvr on the quest 2 and together with FFR, I get massive performance uplifts with no picture degradation on my vr games!

So I am now fairly happy with the performance of VD and hardly get any more network lag spikes.

Thank you for everyone's help and contribution :)

Back
Top Bottom