Virtual Pinball Tables

Associate
As a lifelong fan of pinball machines, due to the fact my parents were pub landlords, I was mega excited to find one of my friends has his own virtual pinball machine which features head tracking via playstation cameras! My inner geek went nuts and since then I have been toying with the idea of my own build, just not as fancy, or expensive.

So I have an old 19" monitor for the playfield and an old dual core dell XPS which will be butchered for the inners. I hope to pair it all up with a basic GPU and a secondary screen for the back board all while piecing together a custom built cabinent small enough for your lap or maybe even the kitchen side. I have fallen in love with this idea!

Has anyone else made a virtual pinball machine?

Seeing some of the builds on youtube has made me question my own direction as they are simply incredible, but I will stick to my original plan for now :)

Associate
Not built one myself but looked into doing it a few years ago.

If running the DMD, playfield and back glass, they are CPU & GPU intensive and required the best available at the time.

Associate
I have never heard of one but it sounds amazing, off to have a swatch the now... I have wireless pinball 3d printed controllers for the vive with a tripod mount from EBay. they rock

Associate
Visual pinball, Pinball FX and Hyperpin are the main front ends that spring to mind (start reading up on configuring them along with rocket launcher) - are you planning rotating back glass artwork as 19" isn't table size and it may look somewhat off with a secondary lcd of close size (unless you can find a nice proportianate candidate that scales well in software) - it may be worth considering static generic artwork ("Project Dazzlaapin" or something) on the "back glass" with score output, rather than a table theme or separate lcd.

Cabinet casing size may obviously depend on whether you want to start playing with solenoid plungers or just simple trigger buttons throughout.

Associate
OP
I am planning to have a seperate LCD for the back glass so it auto changes to the current table. The project has been put on hold for a few months as ive just bought a new GPU but its definitely gonna happen, I will post pictures when i start!

Back
Top Bottom