Virtual reality - so many barely tapped uses

Associate
Many years ago (before VR was a consumer reality) I imagined that when it came it would be used for education, the virtual office (with finger-tracking over a virtual keyboard), virtual shopping (the IKEA is using it - but not yet Amazon or Walmart or Tesco).

My question is this: why? Or rather WHY NOT? Why is it all Games! Games! Games! OK I know that there are some pidgin steps into the realm of all these things. And yes I know that we haven't yet got finger tracking (although I've read about some interesting technologies on the horizon.

But why is it not being used more in education. We all know the classic screnario about "blowing up the lab without anyone getting hurt." Why isn't VR all over the place now. We've got the hardware. Why isn't it being used in every school in the west?

And every major retail chain! ???

Associate
OP
From my own experience of the western world having travelled a lot of it, The west is slowly going backwards due to giving into the cancer that is political correctness including perverse things such as history books being revised to remove "offensive language", Statues being taken down, Bowing down to invading incompatible cultures, The cult of multiculturalism etc... the west severely needs to sort itself out first and stop committing cultural suicide before we see things like this that will help education.

Without wishing to get bogged down in this argument, I don't see what it has to do with the topic: expanding the uses of VR.

Having said that, I agree with you that it is silly and wrong to take down statues. Instead they should PUT MORE STATUES: e.g. Put up a statue of Abe Lincoln next to a statue of Jefferson Davis. Or put up a statue of Ulysses S. Grant opposite a statue of Robert E Lee. Or maybe a statue of William Tecumseh Sherman standing eyeball to eyeball with (Thomas Jonathan) Stonewall Jackson! That way you get to REALLY capture the history of and test the sincerity of those defending the statues.

And in England? Churchill with Mohandas K Gandhi... ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom