VISA Advice to work in the UK

Soldato
Hi

I have a friend from Ukraine who has been in the UK since approx July 2022. He currently lives (and his family) with his sponsors (separate building). I'm not exactly sure what kind of "visa" or document he has currently allowing him to work in the UK but I believe it was only a total of 3 years so only until mid 2025 I believe.

What does he need to apply for / what options does he have to remain in the UK and continue working? He mentioned something about the salary requirement going up to £38000 for some kind of VISA (which he is not close to).

Any advice would be appreciated - I tried to look online but got a bit confused as there is quite a lot of different situations that may or may not apply.

Thanks

Soldato
What kind of Visa he is on now may make a difference, so worth finding that out.

For a work permit, you normally have the minimum salary requirement as well as needing an employer who will sponsor you. They used to (and I would assume still do) - need to demonstrate that no one else in the UK is suitable to do it. Very different ways that different employers prove it, but at its core, need an employer who is willing to do that.

If you've been here for a certain amount of time, then you can also apply for indefinite leave to remain. However, that used to be 10 years or so if you were here on various visa types, but 5 years if you were working. For instance, I was on student visas, so that didn't count for the 5 year time frame, but did for the 10 year.

I got my UK citizenship back in 2016 now, so not close to the current rules, but used to navigate all of it a fair bit back in the day, so happy to answer questiosn to clear up confusion if I can from what you've seen online if that would help? The situations which allow you to be here and continue working as well, would be a bit more limited I imagine.

One caveat is that I don't know if Ukraine changes anything - I am/was from India, so non-EU things made things more difficult, so it may well be easier if from within the EU (though might be different now, post-Brexit!).

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Why do you keep writing VISA? That's a credit card company. It's just visa.

All the information is there...

Back
Top Bottom