Visiting Dubai

Associate
I'll be going on holiday to Dubai with family in December for 5 days and need any suggestion of what things to do. Currently I interested in going to the Burj tower and doing quad biking. Is there anywhere else that is recommended as I want to do as much as possible in those 5 day. I'm not interested in any water sport but other than that I'll give anything a go.

-Also are there any good family places to eat.
- is it cheaper booking beforehand on visiting places in Dubai and desert tours.
- I've also been told about a book called the entertainer where i could make saving on restaurants and tours. Is it any good ?

overall any suggestion please keep them coming.

Soldato
We were only there for a couple of days passing through from Singapore heading home, I spoke to a mate who recommended a night out in one of the restaurants in the Atlantic on the Palm. As it turned out, the kaleidoscope restaurant was fantastic. Food from around the world set in a huge buffet style where you could have whatever you wanted on the one plate. Each restaurant backs onto the awesome aquarium with 6000 fish and sharks drifting around.
We wanted to try the water park too but were not staying there long enough as our accommodation was at the other end towards the airport...next time though..

Last edited:
Caporegime
See if you can catch a Public beheading, whipping or stoning. Have fun!

that's saudi, tis only next door if you want to see the locals crucifying women for witchcraft

dubai is a more advanced society, you can go and see examples of modern day slavery as various people from the sub continent work in dangerous conditions on construction sites - you may still be able to catch some camel racing - the jockeys are supposed to be robotic these days but occasionally will still be children from sudan etc.. who've been purchased form their parents and forced to race

Soldato
We were only there for a couple of days passing through from Singapore heading home, I spoke to a mate who recommended a night out in one of the restaurants in the Atlantic on the Palm. As it turned out, the kaleidoscope restaurant was fantastic. Food from around the world set in a huge buffet style where you could have whatever you wanted on the one plate. Each restaurant backs onto the awesome aquarium with 6000 fish and sharks drifting around.
We wanted to try the water park too but were not staying there long enough as our accommodation was at the other end towards the airport...next time though..

That sounds great, i think i'll have that on my visit list for January :D

Soldato
that's saudi, tis only next door if you want to see the locals crucifying women for witchcraft

dubai is a more advanced society, you can go and see examples of modern day slavery as various people from the sub continent work in dangerous conditions on construction sites - you may still be able to catch some camel racing - the jockeys are supposed to be robotic these days but occasionally will still be children from sudan etc.. who've been purchased form their parents and forced to race

Don't be silly - Dubai has embraced the modern world and is much more like Kavos or Magaluf now. Get drunk, party on, smash pasty on the beach - it's all good.

http://www.realityviews.in/2010/01/going-to-dubai-know-41-laws-do-and.html

Man of Honour
Aquaventure and wild wadi are world class waterparks and well worth visiting. Food is great if you are not a spendthrift.

Associate
The Entertainer is definitely worth it, it has coupons for pretty much any leisure activity you will want to do, plus restaurants etc.

Soldato
I'd only consider going to Dubai if it were all expenses paid, but would be worried if they find 1 poppy seed on me from my wife's lovely poppy seed cakes.

Soldato
See if you can catch a Public beheading, whipping or stoning. Have fun!

Doesn't happen there, at least not in public.

Dune bashing, Ski Dubai, Burj Khalifa, Ferrari World (If you don't mind a bit of a trek), Marina and smoke some Shish.

All of this, I haven't been but a few people that went when i did said they were a bit let down by Ferrari world, but if you're going to drive down to abu dhabi anyway (about 1.30-1.15hr from dubai center) it might be worth spending a couple of hours there.

With ski dubai thats inside the mall of the emirates which is good for a walk around just to see how the other half live, its got gold bar atm's aswell if that takes your fancy.

The seafood is excellent in dubai so you could pretty much just fill your time with eating, I can't think of any specific restaraunts that I've been to but they were pretty much all great.

Go and watch the slave labour building stuff, apparently it's like a modern day building of the pyramids or Germany's huge underground bases during WWII.

This is actually quite a big issue, make of it what you will but expect to see quite a few impoverished people even in the city center.

Caporegime
apparently the slave kids racing cammels is still a thing:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...efies-ban-on-child-camel-jockeys-1914915.html

Observers from the organisation saw one child fall from a camel and narrowly escape being trampled at the Sweihan race track. Their pictures show children with badly fitting hats falling over their eyes at an event attended by dignitaries and uniformed police officers.

In 2005, after pressure from campaigners, the UAE banned under-18s from the sport. Youngsters had been killed or hurt, suffering head and spinal injuries and damaged genitals. Under the law, the use of children as jockeys is punishable by up to three years in prison and fines.

Before the ban, there were up to 3,000 child jockeys in the UAE, many of them trafficked from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sudan and Mauritania, but only about 1,000 were returned home under a repatriation scheme.

Soldato
Visit the old town area; good day out wandering.

I also booked afternoon tea at the Burj Al Arab. 7 course very tasty asian fusion meal which we couldn't finish and at £50-60ish pp, totally worth it, if just for the experience.

We got a 5 day metro pass and spent a lot of time walking around, which I am alway happy to do with a camera.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDf3P28

Associate
Definitely travel by the metro system, its a hell of a lot cheaper than getting taxis. Get a silver nol card, its around 25dhs which is about £4. From there they have divided zones which you travel within. Doesn't matter which station you get off as long as its in the same zone it will be one flat price your charged.

Back
Top Bottom