Vista 64 bit and Adsl

Associate
Newbie here and first post on the forum. Just got a shiny new computer (case only) today, Vista home premium 64 bit installed, Intel E6420 cpu 2 gig ram 250 gig sata hd. I thought installing my D-link 200 adsl modem would be a breeze as usual...wrong.
Searched the net for a 64 bit driver with no luck. 4 separate phone calls to Pipex my ISP and sent on wild goosechases eventually the 4th phone call they told me they won't support the d-link modem and vista, even tho' they supplied it last year for XP, they won't send me a compatible modem.
Went down to a competitor, picked up a Zoom 5510 adsl, assistant told me it's one of the few that work with vista he checked with the techy guys who confirmed it, all it needed was a updated driver from Zoom's website which they offered to download onto a cd for a tenner :eek: , I checked at home and found it's not available for 64 bit, so saved myself a tenner.

Need a recommendation from you 64 bit guys on a adsl modem so I can get back online with my new toy, not too expensive please. I really don't need Routers if I can help it cos I'll only end up with the one computer, My young grandson has staked a claim on the old one :)

Associate
Hi

Check that you machine has a ethernet port (it 99% should do) and if it does then get a cheaop ethernet modem/router. Something like a Voyager 210 or a Netgear DG834

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info guys, took a competitors adsl back and got my money back (their wrong info, not mine). Went elsewhere and got a modem router. still not online yet. I think the onboard lan is dud or mobo has a problem or 64 bit driver that I have, I can't get it to accept the 64 bit driver that I dloaded or the one from the Asus mobo disk for the lan resulting in a exclamation mark in the device manager.
I've only had this new setup 2 days. Tomorrow morning I take the whole shebang back to the shop and get it checked.
I really want to get this online then I can relax and enjoy the new kit, I'm getting frustrated no, maybe I'm getting internet withdrawal symptoms :)

Two edits in one thread. I'd suggest reading the rules, especially the section on competitors.
Tolien

Back
Top Bottom