Vista & folder info

Associate
In Vista, one thing has been driving me over the wall and that's the extremely buggy feature which guesses what kind of folder you have. In theory this sounds good, but in practice, it means that if you got a folder with a few pictures, it will take it as a "Pictures & Video" folder and since I constantly make use of sorting files by date, size, etc. this becomes very frustrating after a while.

Not only does Vista auto-guess without asking you to, even if you change it back to "all files" (the normal folder layout), it changes it back!! Or just randomly alters it if you rename the folder.

So would anyone know if there's a way to shut off this "auto guessing" of folder content? I don't need or want it.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Same as it was in XP.

Open Windows Explorer and set the view to your favourite preference, then press ALT to bring up the old fashioned menu and select Tools>Folder options.

On the View menu click "Apply to all Folders" to make all folders look the same.

Associate
Baz said:
Same as it was in XP.

Open Windows Explorer and set the view to your favourite preference, then press ALT to bring up the old fashioned menu and select Tools>Folder options.

On the View menu click "Apply to all Folders" to make all folders look the same.

It doesn't work though, I tried that. In Windows XP it worked, but in Vista it seems to change the settings whenever you move a folder, rename it or when you unpack a new one. Part of my hobby is cataloging tested DOS games (Dosbox beta tester) so I constantly have to pack and unpack, move, rename, etc. (to make the folder names DOS compatible) and it's a real nightmare because Vista will set one folder as a music folder, when there's not a single song in there! I hope they fix this.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Wierd, it has always worked for me in Vista, infact I found Vista better than XP for remembering folder settings for pictures...s

Associate
Baz said:
Wierd, it has always worked for me in Vista, infact I found Vista better than XP for remembering folder settings for pictures...s

Hmm I'm still using a trial-stopped version of Vista though - I haven't installed the store bought version yet, so you never know. I didn't feel like reinstalling everything all over again after I bought it but maybe I'll do a clean install soon. Still, right now it's driving me crazy and a search on google turns up a few other people who had a similar problem:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t567917.html