Vista issues...

Associate
Hi there, basically i ordered one of the pre-built systems from OcUK and everything seemed to be fine for a while =]

My issue is one probably bounced around a lot previously, issues with the admin settings, my account apparently has it, but cant perform a bunch of the tasks such as creating new accounts or changing aspects of my current one.

Also opening .msi files is impossible, along with uninstalling anything via the control panel as "Windows Installer could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact support personnel for assistance".

Basically i'm wondering if there are any options i have in fixing these problems without doing a clean install of vista again? i spent a day faffing about with game installs & patches etc, really can't be bothered with it all again with Windows 7 just around the corner.

Regards, Liam.

Soldato
What happens exactly when you carry out an administrative task such as creating a new user account?

On a working system, when ever you do any kind of Windows tasks that require administrator privileges, it will automatically bring up a User Account Control elevation dialogue which you would then have to accept to carry out that action.

Associate
OP
for e.g, when i click 'Add or remove user accounts' a window will appear for like 0.5 of a second, then disappear again. The icon itself has the shield next to it, which i presume to mean that it requires administator to use. My account is set as the administrator, so i'm baffled to be honest.

For some functions, it does as stated as above, for others, it simply doesn't respond at all.

Soldato
for e.g, when i click 'Add or remove user accounts' a window will appear for like 0.5 of a second, then disappear again. The icon itself has the shield next to it, which i presume to mean that it requires administator to use. My account is set as the administrator, so i'm baffled to be honest.

For some functions, it does as stated as above, for others, it simply doesn't respond at all.

Things have changed quite a bit from Windows XP to Windows Vista / Windows 7. The first account that is created in Windows Vista / Windows 7 is called a Protected Administrator. When you login to that account, it create two identities, one with standard user privileges and the other with administrator privileges. When you log into the account, you're running with standard user privileges but have easy access to administrator privileges by simply accepting a User Account Control elevation dialogue.

It's more than likely that the Window that is appearing for half a second is the User Account Control elevation dialogue. Why it is disappearing without your interaction though is defiantly not normal behaviour and it would suggest that there is a corruption within Windows.

I know this isn't the most convenient thing to do and is a right pain but I would probably suggest a clean installation since there is quite a serious problem with your installation.

Associate
OP
Yeah, that's pretty much what i had surmised =] i've run a laptop with Vista before, and had never experienced any of these issues before. So i had figured that a clean install would be the way to go.

I think i'll just sit tight till my Win 7 stuff arrives then go from there. Thankyou for your time =] 'tis much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom