Vista OEM Terms and Conditions

Soldato
This package must only be distributed with a fully assembled computer.
This license is only valid if installed on the hard disk drive of the fully assembled computer.
Microsoft will not provide direct support for this product.

just read this somewhjere... doesn't sound too good? like the price of OEM, anyone here bought it?

This has been asked thousands of times (possibly even literally), so please do search!

Many places including OcUK distribute OEM versions of Windows Vista without a computer and it seems that they are at least able to do so without being at the receiving end of Microsoft's wrath.

It's dramatically cheaper than the retail version, and in consequence you get no support from Microsoft (you are expected to provide support yourself as the "system builder"), and it may be installed non-transferably on one computer. This is in practice done on the basis of the motherboard - if the activation system detects a new motherboard, you will (probably) not be allowed to reactivate the OEM version. So, if you buy OEM now and install and activate it, then change your motherboard or try to install it on a different system, you won't be able to.

That's the EULA, you're sold the license from OcUK as a system builder.

MS define a system builder as someone who builds, assembles, reassembles or installs software on new or used PCs. (i.e. Anyone).

So you have to adhere to the system builder license as well as the EULA.

But basically, to answer your question, online retailers are perfectly legally selling you the OEM version of the software without selling you a PC or any hardware.

Do remember that the EULA restricts the license to the first PC it's installed on, and the heard of the PC is defined as its motherboard by MS. i.e. if you change the motherboard, you invalidate the license. You also don't get any free support from MS as per the Retail license. Hence the cheaper price.

Although you can activate it on another pc / motherboard within 5 minutes of picking up the phone...

A week after activating 64bit Ultimate edition of OEM i chanegd motherboards, cpu, memory etc

It askd to activate

Called them up

had it done within 5 mins

Omnicron said:
Although you can activate it on another pc / motherboard within 5 minutes of picking up the phone...

A week after activating 64bit Ultimate edition of OEM i chanegd motherboards, cpu, memory etc

It askd to activate

Called them up

had it done within 5 mins

Arrr, raise ye glasses ye scurvy dog!

Burnsy

Back
Top Bottom