Vista packet loss and slow download speed.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Has anyone experienced slower download speeds and high packet loss when using Vista?

I'm on BY 10mb.

When I run this speed test in XP I get download speeds from 8000kb/sec to ~9000kb/sec, and 0% packet loss.

Running the same test in Vista I get around 4000-5000kb/sec download and packet losses of between 6% and 8%. I assume the packet loss is slowing the download rate?

It's the same when actually downloading files, I'm getting solid ~900k in XP, but I get ~500 in Vista :confused:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Could be duff network drivers. Vista is not known for being particularly driver friendly right now. I have a copy of Vista running inside VMWare but I've not done any network tests on it.

Associate
Ive just gone back to XP because of this problem.

Im on 10 meg NTL but it was like dial-up surfing the net and downloading from newsgroups was about 3-4 meg tops.

Maybe it is network drivers but cant check as theres no alternatives available.

Using Asus P5P800 mb with gigabit lan. Might try a Intel 1000 card next week if i get the time.

Soldato
It has a new networking stack. Just wait for some decent drivers to come along and for them to wring the bugs out. On paper the new stack is going to be substantially faster than the one in XP.

Back
Top Bottom