Vista wont see my Sata Drive.

Associate
As topic, i've been struggling for the last 4 hours to even get my vista install to find my Sata drive, when i trialled RC2 i used an IDE drive and this was fine but i dont have an IDE drive in my system now and the only thing that is detected is the USB external which it obviously doesn't (and i wouldn't) install to.

I got the only drivers for Sata/raid from the gigabyte site but doesnt do anything during the install.

for info i'm using
E6300 Duel Core
Gigabyte DS4
2gb ram
160gb Sata internal (xp installed on, didnt need drivers for xp btw!)
300gb usb external

Help!

Associate
OP
thats how it set up which is probably why XP didnt need any drivers, on boot menu the Sata shows as Primary IDE.

If i start this install in windows it sees the drive ok and starts the install but when it reboots it blue screens which is probably because it can no longer see the drive.

:( :( :(

Associate
OP
I dont get a blue screen on install install, they wern't needed for XP and i dont have any drivers for the Sata drive. I've tried sata drivers from Gigabyte to use the 'load driver' option but it doesn't except them and if i untick the option to use other drivers nothing happens.

Not played about with Vista yet so this is assumption - if it manages to see the disk in the initial part of the install then it should be OK all the way through. Do you ask it to format the target partition during the install?

If i install from boot it does not detect any hdd's except the external drive, if i do it within windows it detects the drive fine but apon reboot just BSOD's.

The 160gb sata has my XP on it and 20gb on a seperate partition which i want to use for vista, both are detected furing install in XP but niether in Boot install.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
the only driver i have tried is from the gigabyte download page for my motherboard for Sata / Raid but it doesn't except the driver....well it doesn't say anything but it still doesn't show my hdd.

Drivers used were as below in the sata section, 32bit version.
Clicky

Last edited:
Associate
OP
doesnt matter if its connected or not, should still show all available driver... like it does in windows, doesn't show any if it's disconnected. I was using it so try and load drivers from.

Back
Top Bottom