visual studio 2010 and session variables

Soldato
Hi,

I am making an asp.net page and I need some testing advice.

Is there a way to test (perhaps using the debugger) to see if session variables are being kept separate/unique between 2 instances of an asp.net web page?

I was playing around with this today, whereby I would open 1 instance of an asp.net page which I was building, using the debugger. I would then copy and paste the url into another browser, thus creating 2 instance. But I was not sure if these 2 are classed as 2 unique instances or if they are merely duplicates.

I need to test to see if my session variables are truly unique between each separate browser instance.
I want to make sure that I can open 2 separate browsers, using the same url (aspx page) and have the 2 browsers completely unique.

Can this be tested in a development environment or would I need to upload the asp.net solution to my server, then open 2 browsers?

It is imperative that the sessions in the 2 (or more) browsers are completely unique, even when opened on the same computer - so testing is imperative.

Thanks.

The session is controlled by the browser connection. If you have two separate browsers open, like IE and FF, you'll definitely have two sessions to the server.

If you have two instances of the same browser open, then they will share the same session unless using a 'private browsing' option.

If you have two instances of the same browser open, then they will share the same session unless using a 'private browsing' option.

Right. gotcha.

Is there any way to test this, in a development environment OR do i have to try it the long way, ie upload to server, then connect to the webserver and run the test? Can this be tested locally?

Right. gotcha.

Is there any way to test this, in a development environment OR do i have to try it the long way, ie upload to server, then connect to the webserver and run the test? Can this be tested locally?
If you're devloping in VS just hit F5 to run in one browser, then copy the URL (http://localhost:xxxx where xxx will be the port it's using) into another browser.

Back
Top Bottom