Visual SVN / Visual SVN server setup

Izi

Izi

Soldato
I have got running Visual SVN /Server- really like the features. However, this is the first source control I have used like this.

I am currious as to how it works and where files are stored. On the server I created a repository, then set up a solution to point to that repository.

When I comit changes, where are the files stored?

What I would like to be able to do do:

* Have central file server with all project source files
* each developer machine checks in/out files from the main project server
* Choose where the main project files are kept.

Please can someone help shed some light how to do this?

Thanks

Associate
The server stores the files in a database filesystem. Have a read up on Subversion on wikipedia and google for more info. Visual SVN Server is just a nice front end to Subversion.

Can do everything you mentioned also.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
so is it possible for the subversion server to get courrupt at all?

Obvioulsy will back up the respoitories folder, but can you recover files should something happen?

Associate
Not in the way you mean.

You could backup both the actual source code files & the database file system files.

We use subversion at work for all company software and it has yet to go wrong after 10s of thousands of committs!

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
thanks dan0r2.

reading and learning more. can't beleive i have lived with out this for so long!

Is there a way when you commit changes to the server, for the server then to commit changes to a specified folder (i.e a web directory)?

Associate
Yes.

Subversion has pre and post commit events - that you can trigger scripts to run.

For web development we have a piece of software & various scripts that make up our 'deployment system' e.g. for releasing new versions of sites and also reverting to old. We do however use subversion in a linux environment for this, and so have the benefits of hard linking.

Subversion is pretty amazing, and it sounds like I was in a similar position to you!

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
SET WORKING_COPY=c:\path\to\working\copy
svn update %WORKING_COPY%

is that all i need to do on post comit in Visual SVN server ?

Back
Top Bottom