Vive and Rift compared.

Soldato
I have just finished playing on my dad's rift so I thought I would compare my experience Vs my vive.
1. Rift is a lot lighter than the vive which makes long play sessions more comfortable.
2. Rift has less screen door effect than vive approximately 50% less noticeable.
3. Rifts screen isn't as bright as the vives.
4. Rifts lenses have a distortion around the edges you get a fish eye effect vive doesn't.
5. Rifts fov is narrower the lenses are squarer where as the vive is more oval.
6. Rifts touch controllers are better than the vive wands, they are more ergonomic and the joysticks are a lot nicer to use than the wands trackpads.
7. Rifts 2 sensors mean front facing only, as soon as you turn around you get tracking drop outs, vive tracking is 360 with no blind spots.
8. Rifts asw is superior to vives asw we were able to run 1.5 SS and everything was still judder free on the vive 1.3 SS was the max before judder.

Conclusion. I was very impressed with the rift it's light, comfortable to wear, the touch controllers are excellent, asw does a cracking job of keeping everything judder free so even on a minimum spec machine it is more than playable. If I was buying a vr head set today then I would get the rift given as it's nearly half the price yet offers just as good an experience, it's just the rifts tracking when it comes to 360 degree movement that lets it down but as long as you use it in a face forward configuration it works fine.
Iam very tempting to buy a rift to use with all my driving/cockpit games the comfort factor alone makes it very appealing.

Soldato
7. Rifts 2 sensors mean front facing only, as soon as you turn around you get tracking drop outs, vive tracking is 360 with no blind spots.

Good report Dan, can't really argue with any of your conclusions apart from one. 360 degree tracking.

IF you don't want to go to the trouble of buying another sensor to test it out, use the two sensors you have. Put them in the opposite corners of the room facing towards each other. Try to put them as high up as you can. It should let you experience 360 degrees with the Rift, then you can decide if you want to get the third sensor or not.

Soldato
OP
Good report Dan, can't really argue with any of your conclusions apart from one. 360 degree tracking.

IF you don't want to go to the trouble of buying another sensor to test it out, use the two sensors you have. Put them in the opposite corners of the room facing towards each other. Try to put them as high up as you can. It should let you experience 360 degrees with the Rift, then you can decide if you want to get the third sensor or not.
I reviewed the rift "as is" straight out of the box, I don't have a usb extension lead and the lead on the sensor isn't long enough to place it behind me. So as it stands out of the box 360 tracking is a no-go iam sure adding a 3rd sensor would rectify the problem but that means having a cable trailing across the room and also uses another usb socket.

Something I forgot to mention was the rift packaging was the new bundle which doesn't have the Xbox controller or remote included, also the oculus compatability program said my dad's CPU (amd FX 8320) and his usb ports weren't good enough but I can confirm all is working fine.

Soldato
I reviewed the rift "as is" straight out of the box, I don't have a usb extension lead and the lead on the sensor isn't long enough to place it behind me. So as it stands out of the box 360 tracking is a no-go iam sure adding a 3rd sensor would rectify the problem but that means having a cable trailing across the room and also uses another usb socket.

Something I forgot to mention was the rift packaging was the new bundle which doesn't have the Xbox controller or remote included, also the oculus compatability program said my dad's CPU (amd FX 8320) and his usb ports weren't good enough but I can confirm all is working fine.

The third sensor can use a USB 2.0 port without issues. And, you don't have to trail a cable across the room :) The Sensor comes with a 5M extension cable, so you can route it carefully along the walls :)

Soldato
Regarding number 4, I've not seen that, though admittedly I have seen the odd person mention it now and then. Maybe it's my screwed up eyesight :p

That's true, you couldn't hit a barn door in archery. The amount of times that I have carried you through the Quests in Rec Room is shocking :p:D

Actually I haven't experienced number 4 either!! I read it wrong, I thought Dan meant that the vive had a fisheye effect, reading fail!! :)

Soldato
OP
That's true, you couldn't hit a barn door in archery. The amount of times that I have carried you through the Quests in Rec Room is shocking :p:D

Actually I haven't experienced number 4 either!! I read it wrong, I thought Dan meant that the vive had a fisheye effect, reading fail!! :)
I assume it's the lenses in the rift causing this issue, if iam looking at a straight line for instance and I move my head left and right when the line reaches the very edge of the lense the ends bend in slightly I noticed it immediately. Do you guys not have it? My ipd is at 64mm.

Associate
I'm 64mm IPD, though wear I glasses and don't see any distortion with those. I did get large central distortion with my first VR Lens Lab lenses, though they replaced them ages back. I've demoed my Rift quite a lot, and never had anyone mention it (though saying that, first time users might not notice).

I do have 2 friends with Rifts (neither using glasses with it, though they both wear glasses for much further distance viewing than is required for the Rift), and they haven't mentioned seeing anything like that. Like I said before though, I have seen the odd comment about it previously (along with other people who don't see it), so I guess it may be on an eyesight by eyesight basis.

Soldato
Yep, I can report great results with this setup (2 sensors in a diagonal), no blind spots whatsoever.

I've tried Vive in a Game shop and didn't really feel any difference to be honest - comfort, precision, screen quality etc. Its like Coke and Pepsi imo, next to no difference. I got rift as it was cheaper and had better support in my favourite games (Assetto Corsa and IL2: Stalingrad).

Soldato
I assume it's the lenses in the rift causing this issue, if iam looking at a straight line for instance and I move my head left and right when the line reaches the very edge of the lense the ends bend in slightly I noticed it immediately. Do you guys not have it? My ipd is at 64mm.

My IPD is 66.5 and I don't get that at all. But, then again, I think the shape of a persons head and all the variations between different faces is the reason why.

Associate
I'm only seeing any distortions when the headset isn't aligned properly (and thus everything isn't as sharp as it can be). Also tried pulling the headset a bit from my face or pushing it further in, and that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Associate
Nice to see someone from the 'other side' commend the rift.

The biggest issue I have is the distortion around the edges of the lenses, mine seems to go blurry or out of focus by the smallest amount. When you know its there you always keep looking for it but I try and tell myself that you don't tend to look to the sides of your straight vision much in real life and turn you head instead. Same goes with VR. I get good tracking from my two sensors, with them only playing up as my hands drop below my desk and out of their field of view. I will have to hook them on the wall higher up to look down on me to improve that.

I didn't realise the new deal is without the remote or Xbox controller, which in fairness I never use but was nice to be included in the original touch kit.

Only huge issue for me is it started an expensive upgrade path to max its potential. New 1080TI and water block (£800), new external water cooling kit and CPU block (£300). New case (£140) and just this weekend a Ryzen 1800x, mobo and ram (£840). Good job my wife doesn't mind.

But whichever system you have its a great toy to have, trying to explain it to non VR people is hard and when you get to show them they are truly amazed by it.

Soldato
mine goes to 71mm , i've not noticed it. I do notice the god rays and that it goes out of focus as you look at the edges but they're not enough to ruin it.

Associate
I've had a fish eye type effect when i first used my Rift. Turns out i wasn't wearing it correct for my head. A few adjustments to the straps plus I changed the tilt of the front plate and haven't seen it again. Maybe my eyes were seeing the screen at the wrong angle?

Associate
I've had a fish eye type effect when i first used my Rift. Turns out i wasn't wearing it correct for my head. A few adjustments to the straps plus I changed the tilt of the front plate and haven't seen it again. Maybe my eyes were seeing the screen at the wrong angle?

Indeed. It has to be positioned and tilted correctly for the best experience.

Back
Top Bottom