VLC subtitle plugin

Soldato
Hello,

I have a plugin that supposedly should download subtitles for films&series from opensubtitles.org, however it doesn't work, it finds the subs but gives an error when I want to download them. And the plugin doesn't do it automatically, you still have to engage the plugin and make it search and download.

Is there a decent plugin that auto downloads subtitles for VLC, preferably in English and Dutch.
I want to double click my media, and that it automatically grabs Eng and NL subs immediately and loads the eng ones as default if available for that release...

Is this possible for VLC ? I've seen friends have that in XBMC but no idea for VLC...

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Nobody likes subtitles so you don't have to focus on speech with low volumes at night but without the hassle of manually downloading em :p ?

Perhaps I should ask on VLC forums or so ?

Soldato
Hi snowdog. I'm deaf so I use subtitles all the time, when they are available. There is an option in VLC to force it to show subtitles if included on the DVD. I select English subtitles by entering "EN, ENG" into the subtitles language field. By using EN and ENG I should catch most DVDs' subtitles.

If I need to download a file for subtitles I go to subscene.com, find a decent subtitle for the relevant DVD, download it and unpack the file before pointing VLC to the external file.

I haven't heard of a subtitle plugin for VLC but I will look for one now to see if there is one. :)

To see the subtitles setting in VLC go to Tools to open the main options menu. On the "Simple" setting of the menu, click on the "Subtitles and OSD" button, 4th one down on my VLC. There is a section called "Subtitles Language". In the "Preferred subtitles language" field I've entered "EN, ENG" as I mentioned earlier. This means that if a DVD has either EN or ENG subtitles VLC will automatically display them for me.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replying, but I really mean a plugin that does it automatically. For example, I click: ''xxxxxxxx.S06E01.HDTV.720p.DD5.1.x264-HDxT.mkv'', and if that particular release has no built-in subs, I want it to download the subs by looking on sites like opensubtitles.org or podnapisi.net and if it finds a matching release, to auto download it without any further user action. I know there are plugins for XBMC that do this automatically, but I'd love one for VLC...

Last edited:
Associate
I use Splayer which autodownloads any subs that are available exactly like you descibe. You can change languages from the context menu and the GUI is great. I moved away from VLC for this very reason.

Sorry I cant help you with your particular VLC query though...

Back
Top Bottom