VMware Linux bigadv

Man of Honour
OP
Yes its built into the vmware image. You just turn it on, all the faffing about in the first few posts are not needed any more.

If you are rolling your own with Ubuntu then I guess you may need it, but linuxrouter actuallty does a bootable linux disk that is identical to the vmware image which has it all built into the one. If thats what takes your fancy. But then you are building a dedicated Folding Linux rig. Not sure about anyone else but mine tend to do other things as well as folding so I can't use it.

Man of Honour
OP
Ignore it its working according to Linuxrouter when I asked the same q. I het the same thing and its definitely uploading ok

Man of Honour
OP
Mate your talking about a period of a few minutes between it finishing and it sorting itself out, thats nothing compared to the 30+ minutes it would take to upload the file without it.

Man of Honour
OP
Strange, I'm not seeing that at all on my machine.

I get the same errors as you over the same period of time (1-2min) but the Folding client just gets the next WU after that time and carries on. And the Langouste just caches the result and sends it.

I know its sending the results fine because I can see them in the stats showing up at the right time and my figures are good.

Anyway you do what you think is best :) I've just installed Langouste windows client on Gemini :)

Man of Honour
OP
(Optional) Select Replicate physical network connection state if you use the virtual machine on a laptop or other mobile device. As you move from one wired or wireless network to another, the IP address is automatically renewed.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm, remember you have to return 80% good results to keep getting bigadv, if you drop below that you will get some advmethods SMP's

But yes I'm getting the odd A3 standard WU's every now and then.

Only reason I asked is that I would have thought your daily average would be closer to 70K than 13K

Man of Honour
OP
Tch so I'm helping the opposition? Sheesh. :p

advmethods should *ALWAYS* be turned off, both as not having the switch in command line and turned off in Advanced options when in -configonly
if you are doing bigadv

Man of Honour
OP
Ok so I run my i970 (12 thread) on windows but then its also running 3 GTX470's

For the dual jobbie, I run also on windows, been hexperimenting (sic) with Linux but as its dual purpose need Linux to be able to do the same things Windows is doing at the moment. (VMware Server 2.0) and when I tried with Ubuntu I just couldn't get the VM's to fire up.

I guess I am maybe 25-30K down on potential PPD for running windows rather than Linux on the SR-2, I am going to try again soon if I get a chance.

For the 970, I dunno, running wine/linux with that setup is probably just too much faff for me to bother with to get the extra (maybe) points.

If I get the opportunity that one is going multi cpu bigadv and I'm going to get rid of the gpu's but I don't know when I will get the chance to do that.

The only thing I run VMware bigadv is my 2600K which is pulling 50K on a 6901 at the moment :) more than the i7 970 is pulling (but then thats also draggin three fermi clients along with it)

Hope this helps.

Man of Honour
OP
It helps a great deal......

I have the Asus RE3 board - which will (eventually) be pushing four fermi cards along with an i7 6 core cpu. It's not a cost effective solution - it's a personal project (kind of thing).

Yeah I've got 4 in mine, but only 3 are working, one died. Using an Asus P6T7WS

Make sure you plug every available power connector into the motherboard that there is, and don't use a board that doesn't have any extra power connector (I know the RE3 has two extras)

Man of Honour
OP
If you are part time then I probably wouldnt bother running bigadv but thats just me.
I would go into the web interface and shut it down there.

Man of Honour
OP
It all depends how long you shut it down for.

If you are calculating that PPD on last frame, last three frames, or even all frames, its not really going to match up with the actual PPD.

Sure those will let you see how fast your machine "could" pump out PPD but it won't show what you are actually going to get.

Best to use "Effective Rate" which takes into account when the WU was downloaded as well.

The danger is if you don't return the bigadv wu within the 4 days allotted you will not get what you think you are going to get :) Plus they take a long time to process the WU compared to a normal SMP unit.

But if you think you can return them within 1 or 2 days then you should be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom