Volume levels in Cinemas nowadays...

Soldato
...As in why is it so loud? :mad:

I went to see the latest Avengers film today & during the action scenes (lots of them) it was like being in a Nightclub, the bass in particular was FELT rather than heard. It was the same during the Adverts & the Trailers too.

(been years since I gone to a Nightclub mind) I left the Cinema with my ears ringing & it spoiled my enjoyment of the film. I don't want to be a killjoy & sound like I'm ranting like an middle aged man (which I am :p) but don't others on here have the same opinion?

I'm going to put my Health & Safety hat on (So there) & be of the opinion that the Volume today would have been above acceptable noise levels in the workplace? If so what is the Cinema going to do about it as regards their staff?

For the record, I used to work in a Cinema many years ago & Volume levels of today back then would have been unacceptable.

Any thoughts about my rant, or should I made the thread title "Spec me a set of earplugs" :D

Soldato
OP
Cinemas suck, just buy a TV :p

please note my sig in the OP. On this occasion I wanted to see the film ASAP rather than wait & watch it on my HC.

Tell the cinema, that's valuable feedback.

Done. I thought the Local Environmental heath ought to be told too.

Bass is meant to be felt... not heard. Subsonic frequencies are being reproduced meaning the sound system is doing it's job.

Not to the extent that it can feel the bass on my chest & the fact I cant hear the dialogue above the bass :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I dont think I'd want to wear ear protectors in a Cinema. I have to in some of my customers premises when I'm at work. All I want is to watch a film at acceptable volume levels, I think the Hollywood studios need to be more aware of Dynamic range when creating modern film soundtracks.

Soldato
OP
Stop being an old fart

:D No, Its my right to whine & whinge at almost 50 if I don't like something.

It's to drown out the ignorant *****s who can't sit for 2 hours and actually watch a film in quiet and have to sit and flap their slack jawed gums up and down for any number of asinine reasons.

I think you have a point there. The resident Chav nuisance in Cinema blockbuster screening these days always has to make a point of making sure that everyone else hears their phone call. "Yeah, I'm in the Cinema watching the Avengers mate"

NO **** Sherlock.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
However, last time I went to Vue cinema it was so loud it was overdriving the sound system, completely distorting when there was anything more than plain dialogue playing. Completely ruined the film for me.

It was the last straw for me as far as cinemas go to be honest, and I haven't been back since. I'm quite happy now to wait for the bluray release and watch at home.

Exactly. I think the projectionists are forced to turn up the volume in Cinemas these days (The bass in particular) & the systems I don't think are designed for that kind of volume levels, even though they are professional Cinema surround sound systems (I think the speakers in the Auditorium were JBL)

It's put me off going to the Cinema for a while, that's for sure, That & the price I paid, nearly £10 for Sunday lunchtime showing. It'll be near enough that price for the disc at Xmas time, I can watch it at the Volume level of my choice then. :p

Soldato
OP
Holy thread revival :D :p

That 'incident' hasnt put me off going to the cinema anymore, I do pay a visit a few times a year & I must admit that could've been a one off. If anything what will put me off is the price of admission. As in I could wait a few months & not pay that much more for a Blu-ray (not 4k UHD, the prices of those beggars belief)

Back
Top Bottom