Voneus FTTP

Associate
Voneus are installing FTTP where I live and was wondering if anyone else uses them or knows what router they use. There's not very much info about the gear they supply and use.
I'm looking to buy a mesh system for the house but want to make sure it's going to be compatible with what they fit.
They are using a mixture of ducts and the existing poles for installations and all the poles down my road have new boxes and cables hanging off them.
I've been using the same copper wires for 30 years so I'm quite excited as Openreach have neglected the old part of the village, Lila connect started installing then left and then I saw Zzoomm vans but it turns out they went straight through the village to get to another village.

Associate
No experience with Voeus sorry, maybe check out the forums on ispreview.co.uk, thinkbroadband.com or kitz.co.uk to seek out some user experiences.

What mesh systems are you considering? Most should be compatible with all providers, you just might have to run them behind the providers equipment.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips, I will have a look on those sites. Voneus were at the local Market today so I went and had a chat with them. They provide a Zyxel VMG8825-T50K router.
The mesh system I am looking at is the TP-Link Deco XE75 AXE5400 (3 pack) and you're right, it will go behind the supplied router. I am going to have wired backhaul on both nodes or whatever they're called.
They are starting installs at the end of Feb apparently, can't wait. Been on the same copper pair for 28 years ever since my first 56k dial up.

Associate
Thanks for the tips, I will have a look on those sites. Voneus were at the local Market today so I went and had a chat with them. They provide a Zyxel VMG8825-T50K router.
The mesh system I am looking at is the TP-Link Deco XE75 AXE5400 (3 pack) and you're right, it will go behind the supplied router. I am going to have wired backhaul on both nodes or whatever they're called.
They are starting installs at the end of Feb apparently, can't wait. Been on the same copper pair for 28 years ever since my first 56k dial up.
Again not got any experience with those mesh AP's but so long as they are hard wired in you should get decent performance in the same room over WiFi and wired will see your package speed as the bottleneck. Can always add more ap's after yourself if needed I presume like other providers.

Was in a similar position to you last year, a different altnet provider wired up my house and I went with the 900/900 package they offer. Game changer.

Not so much about any particular device maxing that connection out, as you quickly find external factors limit the bandwidth you pull, server download limits etc. but what it does mean is one device can download at the maximum speed possible and not impact other device performance detrimentally on the network. As an example, my Xbox can pull a game update at circa 600MB/s which seems to be a Microsoft server limit perhaps (happy to be proven wrong) and it doesn't impact the wife's netflix streaming session, or the daughter YouTube play back. Previously, on my 80/20 FTTC connection, the Xbox would hog it all unless a bandwidth limitation was in place.

Associate
OP
Was in a similar position to you last year, a different altnet provider wired up my house and I went with the 900/900 package they offer. Game changer.

Not so much about any particular device maxing that connection out, as you quickly find external factors limit the bandwidth you pull, server download limits etc. but what it does mean is one device can download at the maximum speed possible and not impact other device performance detrimentally on the network. As an example, my Xbox can pull a game update at circa 600MB/s which seems to be a Microsoft server limit perhaps (happy to be proven wrong) and it doesn't impact the wife's netflix streaming session, or the daughter YouTube play back. Previously, on my 80/20 FTTC connection, the Xbox would hog it all unless a bandwidth limitation was in place.
This is what I was hoping for and I have 2 girls both watching youtube/netflix and then when I come to watch something it's defaulted to 360p and if I change the quality it starts buffering or I have to wait till they have gone to bed :D
I might even be able to play some games again without lagging or girls shouting at me saying their stuff has stopped playing :)

Associate
OP
I thought I may as well update this with my experience.
I had a phone call on the 13th May saying I could book my installation, 500MB down and up. The nearest date was the 15th May between 1pm-6pm so I jumped on that.
I got an email on the 14th saying the engineer would call me on the day of install with a more precise time.

On the 15th (day of install) I thought I may as well go to work for the morning. I get to work at 8am and at 8:40am the engineer is ringing my Nest Hello. He is installing my mom and dads which is 3 doors down and asks me if he can drop the cable from the pole (same pole for my mom and dads house) for mine and install in the next 30 mins. I tell him yes, down tools and come home. Only 10 mins away.

Within 10 minutes of getting home he had the ladders up the house installed an eye bolt and had pulled the cable to the house. Then another guy came up with the router and ONT and fitted all that.
After about another 15 minutes I was up and running. Nice tidy installation. I had already run some cat 6 from under the stairs where the ONT was to where the router is now.

After 10 days the connection has been perfect but I suppose more time is needed to see how good it really is.
It's quite incredible how fast I can upload files via ftp now, I used to dread it and plan something to do whilst they were uploading but now it takes seconds. Also I'm getting faster speeds than what I'm paying for, the difference is almost twice as fast as my old connection download wise :D

The router is a ZYXEL EX3301-T0 and has wifi 6 which gives me enough signal around the house where I don't need my wifi boosters anymore. I also get a very good signal and speed down the garden where I didn't before.

Wired connection

Associate
OP
Well I've just had my 1st experience with customer support and it was very positive.
Yesterday afternoon my internet went off, red light on the router Zyxel EX3301-TO. I hadn't touched anything so I don't know why. I rang them at 8pm and was told the usual restart the router etc.
He couldn't help so he escalated it and someone else rang me back this morning but I was at work and needed to be at home. I told them I'd be back at 2pm and they rang back at 2:10pm.
He reset the PON box and within 5 mins I was back connected again. I asked him what the problem was but he didn't really have an answer.
I just hope that doesn't happen to often but least I know they were actually very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom