Vote for the movie I should watch ? part 2

Associate
2013, you are in for a treat, some seriously awesome films here. I have never seen 4 & 7 (Inception and Interstellar) so I cannot comment on these.

I am not going to rejig the order, to be honest the order you propose would be great watching!

The Godfather and its sequel, yonks old debate over which is the better film, like Star Wars and Empire. I fall into the camp that The Godfather is my personal favourite.
Saving Private Ryan was I recall, with the exception of the eighties Vietnam films, the most realistic depiction of combat at the time and came as a shock for the violence (Braveheart also caused a stir at the time with the abundance of limbs being chopped off).
Se7en set the benchmark for thrillers/films - influencing a lot of crime thrillers to this day. Brad Pitt's best film.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - If not seen, best to watch the trilogy A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More first and then The Good...

1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. The Godfather
3. Schindler's List
4. Inception
5. Goodfellas
6. Se7en
7. Interstellar
8. Saving Private Ryan
9. The Departed
10. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Caporegime
there are some great films there, except for inception of course, i thought that was garbage.

Surprisingly, I couldn't get into it. It should be my kind of film, both in terms of cast and content, but despite trying at least three or four times to immerse myself into the experience I had to concede that this one just wasn't for me.

Soldato
I'm actually watching Inception again tonight for about the 5th or 6th time, another in a long line of rewatches now I have 4k.

I think it's fantastic, in my top movies of all time.

Soldato
OP
Just watched the great escape, some great acting modern day actors could learn from them, I normally hate war movies but the hints of comedy made up for it, I was expecting the Nazis to be a lot more aggressive and heartless treating the prisoners like crap but but the movie made it seam like they got treated better then prisoners today.
great movie I would rate it 7/10, for a movie ive never seen I feel like this movie has been copied loads of times and ive seen some of the copies.
Jeez, those are a hard choice this time. Find time to watch them all.
Thats the plan, I want to watch all of them at some point but just want to see which to start with.

Associate
I was expecting the Nazis to be a lot more aggressive and heartless treating the prisoners like crap but but the movie made it seam like they got treated better then prisoners today.
The reality is that in some POW camps, the prisoners were treated with respect and formed friendships that lasted after the war.
Colonel Peter Storie-Pugh who was a prisoner at Colditz invited Hauptmann Reinhold Eggers who was the Security Officer at Colditz to his wedding in 1971.

Soldato
Surprisingly, I couldn't get into it. It should be my kind of film, both in terms of cast and content, but despite trying at least three or four times to immerse myself into the experience I had to concede that this one just wasn't for me.

well bugger, i just realised i said inception when i meant interstellar, oops

even so, i thought inception was 'fine' but a bit too simplistic, and spent most of the time explaining the concept again and again - i got it first time, just get on with it!

Caporegime
well bugger, i just realised i said inception when i meant interstellar, oops

even so, i thought inception was 'fine' but a bit too simplistic, and spent most of the time explaining the concept again and again - i got it first time, just get on with it!

Ahh... :) I've seen Interstellar once and rather liked it. :D

Man of Honour
I though Inception was OK but nothing special and just rehashed ideas from other films before it. But I am shocked to realise it is now ten years old. I remember going ot watch it as if it was a year or two ago.

Soldato
OP
The reality is that in some POW camps, the prisoners were treated with respect and formed friendships that lasted after the war.
Colonel Peter Storie-Pugh who was a prisoner at Colditz invited Hauptmann Reinhold Eggers who was the Security Officer at Colditz to his wedding in 1971.
Nice to know, im use to seeing the opposite so when watching it I was wondering is this realistic or tone down, I like the character of the nazi genral, do his job but still show respect to the enemy, to be honest I wanted to see what happened to him.

Associate
Nice to know, im use to seeing the opposite so when watching it I was wondering is this realistic or tone down, I like the character of the nazi genral, do his job but still show respect to the enemy, to be honest I wanted to see what happened to him.
The real-life German Commandant of the real-life Great Escape was Oberst Friedrich Wilhelm von Lindeiner-Wildau
From his Wikipedia page:
  • The Gestapo investigated the escape and, whilst this uncovered no significant new information, von Lindeiner was removed and threatened with court martial. He feigned mental illness to avoid imprisonment.
  • In February 1945, he was wounded by Russian troops advancing towards Berlin while acting as second in command of an infantry unit defending Sagan. He later surrendered to advancing British forces as the war ended.
  • Von Lindener was imprisoned for two years at the British prisoner of war camp known as the "London Cage". He testified during the British SIB investigation concerning the Stalag Luft III murders. Allied former prisoners at Stalag Luft III testified that he had followed the Geneva Conventions concerning the treatment of POWs and had won the respect of the senior prisoners. He was repatriated in 1947.
  • He died in 1963 at the age of 82, less than two months before the film The Great Escape was released.

Associate
Saving Private Ryan. Especially if you have a half decent surround sound setup you have really been missing out :D

They are all great movies on the list though. How have you not watched any of them ?? :eek:

Soldato
OP
Saving Private Ryan. Especially if you have a half decent surround sound setup you have really been missing out :D

They are all great movies on the list though. How have you not watched any of them ?? :eek:
If its anything like the great escape ill be watching it but to be honest I'm not a fan of war movies, american ones even less.

No idea, something dont click with me or get pushed back due to the hype around it and expectations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom