VP930 still the 19" 5:4 king?

Soldato
I'm toying with the idea of getting an LCD monitor again. I use my PC less and less and so I can't really justify it taking up half my room, so I've been downsizing it. I've got rid of my 5.1 speakers and have quality stereo speakers now (and boy do I not miss 5.1 btw) and now I want a smaller desk, which means the CRT has to go.

I've currently got a 19" CRT and a 15" TFT (an old PVA) sat next to each other. I use the TFT for browsing (it only cost me £15 off ebay) and the CRT for gaming.

I've been following the TFT scene a bit now and again, and last time I checked the VP930 was the best all round 19" 5:4 ratio TFT around. I've owned a TN Film panel in the past (Samsung 913B iirc) and I hated the poor viewing angles and poor black depth, so I'm only considering MVA, PVA and IPS screens. I also don't want widescreen, and I don't want a higher res than 1280*1024, so that means 19". Also there's viewsonics new dead subpixel policy on their Pro (VP) series.

I just want to check I haven't missed anything in the last year, any new screens, and I also want to know if there's any developements just around the corner which might be worth waiting for? For instance, LED backlighting.

Any and all help much appreciated :)
Simon.

Man of Honour
hi fish99. Remembering your issues you had with the TN Film panel before, I think you're wise to look for PVA, MVA and IPS panels. I think the VA varients arguably have the edge overall in black depth, and certainly in the 19" market they are more dominant. The Viewsonic VP930 is still one of the best, if not THE best, all round 19" screen in the market. There has been a lot of growth in the 20" and 20"WS market, but you haven't missed a great deal in the 19" sector. If you want wider viewing angles and a better black depth than your previous 913B, then this would be a good choice.

Associate
the vp930B is also much much better value now as it's price has dropped to well under £300 Ceapest I've seen it is probably No competitor talk please! for about £260. I went for the vx2025 which is lovely except that my poor old 9800pro is struggling a bit in BF2! :rolleyes:

Associate
fish99 said:
Cheers lads :) Agree about the price, it's much more competitive now it's no longer £360.
indeed ... it was a hard call betwene it and the vx2025 but after some thought on the matter I decided widescreen would be more fun ... plus some people told me the vx2025 gave a better picture in some respects. Either way I reckon both are good screens

Back
Top Bottom