VPN+Chrome+Pie

Associate
If you're running this combination, could you test something for me? Try opening websites from your Chrome Bookmarks. Do they load normally or do you get a 'Connection Interrupted' page.

I use Adguard (VPN Adblock) and i either have to press 'Reload' on this warning page, or depending on the ROM, it shows the warning and then loads the webpage. If i type the URL into the Address Bar, or let it Autocomplete, the page loads normally, without the warning.

It's so strange. I tried it with other VPN's too and it was the same.

Associate
I use Blokada (also VPN-based) and I'd never noticed this before.

(On OnePlus 6T OxygenOS 9.0.11)
Press bookmark -> "Connection interrupted" page flashes briefly -> load the bookmarked page

As you've said, typing URLs works normally as expected. Maybe some data collection thing on bookmark usage?

Associate
OP
I use Blokada (also VPN-based) and I'd never noticed this before.

(On OnePlus 6T OxygenOS 9.0.11)
Press bookmark -> "Connection interrupted" page flashes briefly -> load the bookmarked page

As you've said, typing URLs works normally as expected. Maybe some data collection thing on bookmark usage?

I had wondered if it would be the same on a manufacturer ROM as it is on AOSP based custom ROMs. Seems to be the case.

Really, it's a Chrome issue, albeit a really strange one. Somethin' ain't right with that Browser! The only thing i didn't test was whether it's just Chrome, or any Chromium based Browser. Firefox et al are all fine. I did test old and new Chrome builds but they all behave the same.

I've resigned myself to a new paradigm for Pie. Instead of Adguard + Chrome, it's Firefox + uBlock Origin.

Edit: Someone from Adguard said today that they're working on a fix for this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom