VPN for backup

Associate
I want to use a VPN in order to backup data on a server to a remote location. I've never really used VPN in this way before so could do with some advice.

The Server is running Server 2003 and the remote PC storing the backup will be running XP. What is the best method to achieve the VPN? Should I setup the remote PC as the VPN server and then connect to it with the Server?

Associate
sinister_stu said:
I want to use a VPN in order to backup data on a server to a remote location. I've never really used VPN in this way before so could do with some advice.

The Server is running Server 2003 and the remote PC storing the backup will be running XP. What is the best method to achieve the VPN? Should I setup the remote PC as the VPN server and then connect to it with the Server?

Depending on your budget:
If you can afford it get a hardware based point to point solution set up (may be possible on your routers, depending on what kit you have)

EDIT:
Also what backup solution are you planning on using?

Last edited:
Associate
The easiest way would be to setup a PPTP VPN Server on the Windows Server machine, then just connect in from Windows XP..

Best way would be to, as said above, have an IPSEC tunnel between two routers either end. :)

Associate
OP
Looking to do this as cheaply as possible really. I'm thinking of just using a RAID 1 array in the remote PC for storage of the backup (possibly going to RAID 5 if I can justify it), with a separate HD for the OS. Excluding the HDs I already have the parts for this system.

The router is a DrayTek Vigor 2600 if that means anything to you. Says it has built-in Native VPN support, I assume this will allow me to setup a hardware IPSEC tunnel? What are the advantages of this method?

Thanks for the advice so far.

(Edit: I have one router but will obviously need a another... Which router would you recommend?)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a spare draytek 2600 going if you want to email me at [email protected].

A hardware vpn will generally be a lot more reliable than a "dial up" vpn. Esspecally if you wanted to run backup routines overnight etc. You will also have better security.

What software are you going to use to backup? Something like rsync would probably best over a vpn as its pretty efficient.

Associate
OP
JonRohan said:
I have a spare draytek 2600 going if you want to email me at [email protected].

A hardware vpn will generally be a lot more reliable than a "dial up" vpn. Esspecally if you wanted to run backup routines overnight etc. You will also have better security.

What software are you going to use to backup? Something like rsync would probably best over a vpn as its pretty efficient.

Thanks for the offer, i'll have to give it some thought. I was planning on just using the windows backup software, there's not a great deal to backup, just a few directories and a few mailboxes. Planning on doing the first backup on-site, then doing incremental backups every evening/night. I will have a look at this rsync software though, thanks for the suggestion.

Associate
OP
Seems that I can't access the router...

The internet is working fine and I can ping the IP address of the router (the "default gateway" IP address shown in ipconfig), but when I try to access it with IE I just get "The page cannot be displayed". I've checked my internet options and it's not configured to use a proxy, as suggested in the troubleshooting guide I found.

Any ideas why I can't access it? has it got anything to do with it being attached to a server via a network switch?

Associate
The switch should make no difference (I connect to my router through a PIX firewall)

try telnet to the router to see if you can access it

If telenet fails as well try rebooting the router

Associate
OP
Thanks... I'll try telnet. I didn't think the switch would make a difference, as it should be transparent. Is it possible for the internet to work fine and to not be able to access the router?

Associate
OP
Neither did I...

Other than security issues, are there any other reasons to go for a hardware VPN over a software VPN?

I need to justify the extra cost of the hardware solution, as it will require me to purchase another router. If I do go for this method, do I need to have the same router at the other end or do I just have to make sure it has the same VPN support?

Associate
It's far easier to troubleshoot the connection

less load on the servers

No you don't have to have *** same router at the other end, just have to both support the same encryption trype and strength (e.g. if one end doesn't support aes you can't use it)

Soldato
Best case scenario.

which_vpn_03.gif

Remove the client from the picture and youll have a good idea of the standard way of connecting two sites securly.

Back
Top Bottom