VPN Router

Associate
Hi Guys.
Can some one recommend me a budget VPN router please, eight port if possible.
Would also be open to a 2nd hand unit. Only basic Network knowledge so needs to be easy (ish) to configure.

Cheers

Caporegime
Very few routers have an 8 port switch built in; you're really looking at two devices, a router and a switch.

You're missing a budget and what you're going to connect it to as well as what you expect this "VPN Router" to do (e.g. VPN passthrough or termination?).

Associate
OP
I have a small windows network at home sharing media and files for the family, has 8 port switch and router at present....I'm looking to make it simple and also get secure remote access from my laptop as I work away abroad a lot......budget is as low as reasonably relaible.

I also want to be able to access UK web content (i-player etc) and other stuff that some countrys may ban.....am I correct in thinking that if I have a VPN connection from x country to UK then I can freely access UK content available via my 'home' broadband ISP.

Cheers
John.

wij

wij

Associate
I also want to be able to access UK web content (i-player etc) and other stuff that some countrys may ban.....am I correct in thinking that if I have a VPN connection from x country to UK then I can freely access UK content available via my 'home' broadband ISP.

You can do this, though it would likely shaft the upstream bandwidth on your connection at home and depending on the sort of uplink you have may be a complete waste of time anyway.

The same would go for streaming any video you may have stored on a server at home.

If you're more interested in getting things like iPlayer when abroad just find a company that sells VPN connections (plenty of them around for <£10 / month) and sign up to one of those when you go away. That way your connection is going back to a datacentre where there is plenty of bandwidth to play with and not through your home connection.

If you're really intent on setting something up at home you could always look at running something like an OpenVPN server on the machine itself.

Associate
OP
Ah ok....makes sense...hadn't thought of the upstream bandwidth limits :(

Still need to access my network though....so using a software VPN.....via a standard router....how will that effect the other PC's on the network in terms of security after the ports have been opened for VPN.

Cheers.

Associate
You could get an OpenWRT compatible router and install Open VPN as mentioned above. I wouldn't say there are any security issues from opening a port for VPN as anyone connecting to that port is going to need a valid certificate to pass authentication checks. The worst you are likely to get is a few random connection attempts that go no where..

You wouldn't even need to run this on the router to be honest, you could have it on one of the machines behind the router and just forward the requests, obviously doing this would require a PC to be left on constantly though..

Soldato
DGTeam have released a new firmware version which works on netgear routers, its packed to the brim with features, security tools, vpn, tweaking tools.

I am yet to test out the VPN solution on the new DGTeam firmware, but if its any consilation, I payed £5 for my sky branded DG834GT (now unlocked/debranded and had DGTeam firmware on).

Failing that maybe go for something like a draytek router? albiet more expensive

Permabanned
I would recommend pfsense, buy yourself a small form factor PC with two network ports and stick pfsense on it, it can be used as a vpn client and server and has loads more features, buy yourself a small 8 port hub/switch. Then you are ready to go.

plug the one network card into your internet and the other into your switch and then plug all the pcs into the switch. if you want wireless you can plug a wireless router into the switch or get another network card and plug it directly into the pfsense box.

hope that helps.

for a vpn client http://www.shrew.net/

Last edited:
Soldato
What do people think of netgear VPN routers at the low end of market......I'm thinkin ebay....

Cant comment on them from a VPN perspective (That is if you are talking about the blue model routers that netgear have with VPN as a standard feature), I think the prices of them start from around £50 on ebay.

If you can find someone who has tested the VPN thats been released in the new DGTeam firmware for DG834GT netgear router, then this should be ok, I picked mine up for a fiver on ebay.

I havnt got around to testing it as yet and dont think I will be able to until in the week sometime.

Missing from the screenshot if you scroll down is obviously you are able to assign IP ranges etc, and custom VPN parameters, also SSL option, and plenty of Algorithms to choose from

net.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom