• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VPU Recover all the time

Soldato
Right, I have a Radeon X800XL, a Gigabyte model with fanless heatsink, that has operated for the past year perfectly as it is setup. Yesterday I reinstalled Windows and I went straight for the latest Catalyst drivers. However, The Sims 2, with all expansion packs, will now only play for a few minutes before conking out with the VPU recover message. This is the first time I've ever seen VPU recover since I've had the card. The first thing I've done is gone back to some older Catalyst drivers which I know work perfectly with my card (6.4 in this instance) but I'm still getting VPU recover all the time.

With the amount of time it takes for VPU recover to pop up, it would appear to be a heat related problem. The card has always run pretty hot as I'm a silent freak, but like I said, up until now it has worked flawlessly, and my cooling setup hasn't changed at all. Also, monitoring the card temps they all seem to be in line with how they've always been... I ran ATITool to really heat up the card and VPU Recover didn't pop up for that. I can't for the life of me figure out what it is suddently a problem.

Can anyone offer some pearls of wisdom?

Thanks very much,

Michael.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom