VR advise

Soldato
So I now have a pc that can run vr however only vr I have tried in the past is PlayStation vr at a friends which I loved and the device itself was super comfy, how does oculus stand up in comparison to that? Also I've seen a few post on here mentioning wait for newer headsets are they all due a change??

Associate
So I now have a pc that can run vr however only vr I have tried in the past is PlayStation vr at a friends which I loved and the device itself was super comfy, how does oculus stand up in comparison to that? Also I've seen a few post on here mentioning wait for newer headsets are they all due a change??

Oculus is probably the best solution on the market, the Vive has a few advantages but for me it's not as comfortable and Oculus controllers are just better.

Make sure you've got a large space to make the most of though, you're just going to get frustrated trying to use it in a small area, many of the better games require large play areas.

I would say if you can extend both your arms and touch or come close to both sides of what is essentially your play area, you don't have enough space.

Soldato
Oculus is probably the best solution on the market, the Vive has a few advantages but for me it's not as comfortable and Oculus controllers are just better.

Make sure you've got a large space to make the most of though, you're just going to get frustrated trying to use it in a small area, many of the better games require large play areas.

I would say if you can extend both your arms and touch or come close to both sides of what is essentially your play area, you don't have enough space.

Have you owned both HMDs ?

Associate
If you want the best technical solution at the moment with the most expansion options, get the Vive. Be warned it will get eye-wateringly expensive the more you bolt onto it (deluxe headstrap will be another £90-£100, wireless will be at least £250 when released, additional tracker pucks will be £100 a pop etc etc...you get the idea). Semi-modular design, good for most glasses-wearers.

The Rift is also excellent, and a significantly cheaper option if you only have a small play area or intend to play mostly seated games. If you go for a full three-sensor room scale solution, you'll need a crapton of USB ports and cables and a hub capable of handling it all. Controllers are better ergonomically for certain games. Larger library of high-quality content, although that's now being eroded as the same titles become available natively on Steam. Not so good for most glasses-wearers.

LG are intending to release a SteamVR headset similar to the Vive (but slightly upgraded specs) sometime in the future, no release date as yet, so most likely 2018/2019. HTC have hinted at a new Vive revision sometime in 2018. Facebook have said they won't be updating the Rift for at least two years.

That's pretty much sums up the state of high-end PC VR options as I currently see it.

Edit: I should also mention the cheap Microsoft partner options, but they're still unreleased and unproven in terms of high-end VR gaming. Personally I'm suspicious of how well the tracking will work on it, the controllers, and whether the higher-resolution LCD displays will hold up to fast motion.

Last edited:
Associate
I own both. Rift has a sharper and clearer image. While the SDE is more noticeable, it doesn't suffer anywhere near as much from the mura effect that the PSVR does. Out of the box, PSVR is more comfortable, but if you want to spend about $30 on a replacement facial interface, then the Rift becomes very comfortable and I'd say feels more secure for highly active games. Touch controllers are fantastic.

If you wear glasses then fit-wise, PSVR is generally better. I bought a cheap pair of specs online with a smaller frame to use with the Rift as my normal glasses were just too wide.

Soldato
The Rift is also excellent, and a significantly cheaper option if you only have a small play area or intend to play mostly seated games. If you go for a full three-sensor room scale solution, you'll need a crapton of USB ports and cables and a hub capable of handling it all. Controllers are better ergonomically for certain games. Larger library of high-quality content, although that's now being eroded as the same titles become available natively on Steam. Not so good for most glasses-wearers.

The play area still for the Rift is pretty large, 3m x 3m is currently what I have with 3 sensors and perfect tracking. I do agree if your area is much bigger than that, the Vive is a better option. And you are a bit out of date with your Rift info. You won't need a hub or anything like that. If you have 3 sensors you will need 4 USB ports and only 2 of them need to be USB 3. The requirements for USB were reduced significantly with the 1.12 update.

And yes, the Vive is more comfortable for Glass wearers been the bigger headset.

Associate
And you are a bit out of date with your Rift info. You won't need a hub or anything like that. If you have 3 sensors you will need 4 USB ports and only 2 of them need to be USB 3. The requirements for USB were reduced significantly with the 1.12 update.
By hub I'm referring to the internal one built into the mobo. Yes, the Rift may only need 2 x USB3 ports. The problem is: the Rift needs USB 3....and sadly not all USB 3.x chipsets are created equal or even compatible when it comes to high bandwidth applications. Even my Vive had major USB 3 issues, but fortunately it's not a hard requirement (it only affects the passthrough camera framerate) so I could safely drop back to USB 2.0. If I had a Rift on the other hand, I suspect I'd have had to resort to buying a USB3 expansion card. :(

Associate
I do wear glasses so that plays a big part in the comfort side for me, cheers for all the info:)
You can order prescription lens adapters for both the Vive and Rift if you want maximum comfort, which I can highly recommend. :) It comes at the cost of reducing the FOV very slightly, but less so than wearing glasses.

Soldato
By hub I'm referring to the internal one built into the mobo. Yes, the Rift may only need 2 x USB3 ports. The problem is: the Rift needs USB 3....and sadly not all USB 3.x chipsets are created equal or even compatible when it comes to high bandwidth applications. Even my Vive had major USB 3 issues, but fortunately it's not a hard requirement (it only affects the passthrough camera framerate) so I could safely drop back to USB 2.0. If I had a Rift on the other hand, I suspect I'd have had to resort to buying a USB3 expansion card. :(

But, that's what I am telling you, the requirements have dropped a lot. Since the 1.12 update, the USB 3 controllers that I had in my old PC weren't compatible. After the update they worked fine.

It definitely won't be a problem for the OP who has a Gigabyte Z270x.

Soldato
I do wear glasses so that plays a big part in the comfort side for me, cheers for all the info:)

You can buy these, the rift with touch controllers and the extra sensor for less than the price of the Vive.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/vr-frames-virtual-reality-glasses/

I still suggest you try both headsets if you can at all. No matter which headset you buy, it's still a big investment, so getting the headset that works best with your head can make all the difference!!

You can order prescription lens adapters for both the Vive and Rift if you want maximum comfort, which I can highly recommend. :) It comes at the cost of reducing the FOV very slightly, but less so than wearing glasses.

The Virtual Reality glass are much better than the lens adapters according to PcFarrar who has tried both. Price is pretty good too. I am going to get a pair as soon after my next eye test. Might be too blind to play by then :p

Soldato
OP
I play sat down at my pc space wise room is bigish as it's an atic are touch controllers really needed? If the headset is as comfy as a psvr I'd be fine as that felt good and didn't effect my glasses either

Associate
I play sat down at my pc space wise room is bigish as it's an atic are touch controllers really needed? If the headset is as comfy as a psvr I'd be fine as that felt good and didn't effect my glasses either

There are plenty of games you can play sitting down partly because the Oculus originally shipped with no controllers..

However most upcoming games will probably use them, most of the best games available now use them so I would say you need them.

Soldato

The touch controllers are worth the money. You get free software with them and one of the best games to come out on VR yet, Robo Recall.

Back
Top Bottom