VR recommendations for a 9 year old

Associate
Hi all.

Just after a quick recommendation on cheapish be headsets as my 9 year old is asking for one for his birthday, I'm not looking Vive money so a heads up on some cheaper kit would be well recieved.

Many thanks

Jase.

Soldato
2nd hand oculus, I've seen people here moving them on here for 250-300.

The quick and easy would be a wmr device from an auction site, my mate picked up at 200. If it's for the kids, the quick and easy windows reality headsets are ideal, they literally are plug and play.

OcUK Staff
Currently on offer down at £329

My 4 year old had great fun with it, it's also light, comfy and robust. My son found it hilarious to walk into walls with it on :eye roll:

Acer Windows Mixed Reality MR Headset and Motion Controllers Bundle (AH101-D8EY) @ £329.00 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Acer...-Controllers-Bundle-AH101-D8EY-VR-000-AC.html

Acer AH101 Windows Mixed Reality Headset, Blue, Supplied with 2x Motion Controllers, Combines VR with Reality, for Windows 10

Only £329.00 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Caporegime
You can get an Oculus DK2 kit for less than £100 if you want to try it out before shelling out good money? Or a Gear VR has some interesting options if you have a compatible Samsung Mobile but isn't great for games really.

Soldato
PSVR is good on a budget, but the Rift is the best price vs performance, plus has the best controllers.

I cannot overstate how amazing the Oculus Touch controllers are. The Vive/Windows MR controllers are like using tools in VR, the Touch controllers are actually emulating your hands in VR - a major leap in immersion. I was grinning from ear-to-ear when first playing in VR with the Touch controllers, one of the best gaming moments I've ever had, and I've worked in the games industry since the 1980's, so I've seen and played a lot in that time.

Associate
Problem is with buying a 2nd hand Rift is you then have to pay for Robo Recall, Medium, Luckys Tale etc

Either a new Rift, 2nd hand Vive or a windows headset, the Acer posted above, there was (maybe still?) some Lenovo’s going around for £200ish.
That said if he has a PS4 then then PSVR, despite the controls and lack of room scale is brilliant

Caporegime
Problem is with buying a 2nd hand Rift is you then have to pay for Robo Recall, Medium, Luckys Tale etc

Either a new Rift, 2nd hand Vive or a windows headset, the Acer posted above, there was (maybe still?) some Lenovo’s going around for £200ish.
That said if he has a PS4 then then PSVR, despite the controls and lack of room scale is brilliant

When I sold my Rift I included the account with it and changed the email address on the account to the buyers Choice. @maonayze hasn't reported any trouble back to me.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Nothing. Check around and you’ll see recommendations to avoid use of VR by children due to potential negative effects on the eyesight of younger persons

Associate
The recommend age for younger people is around 12-13 yrs old so nothing wrong with letting them check it out but observe them carefully at all times and don't let them over do it. You don't want to help them get sight problems even though I haven't seen any reports of children suffering from using the VR displays.

I recommend the PSVR if you already have a PS4 for the younger players due to the headset design being more friendly for smaller heads. And the plug and play if the console is easy to manage.

Associate
There hasn’t been any evidence to support these claim that VR is bad for kids, I let my 5yr old play, but I do limit him too only half an hour at weekend on ToyBox or Tiny Town.
Just incase

Associate
some crucial things missed out here.

1) Do you/your boy have a PC with the required minimum specs to run an oculus/rift/windows VR ?
2) If Oculus, will he have enough space to setup the sensors in his room or you are happy to have e.g. your lounge as the play area?
3) Will he want to be able to use it on the move e.g when on holiday or away from home? ... windows VR or standalone VR trumps here

If I were you (assuming you don't have a PS4), I will go with a windows VR headset. You may be lucky to find unused ones from popular auction site, forum or shop at a cheaper price.

Soldato
yeah ^ this, I don't let my kids use VR generally except as small demos, I definitely wouldn't be thinking of buying them their own one, there's no evidence it definitely causes problems because no one has done a study yet, which equally means there is no evidence that it is safe for kids either... each to their own but to me it isn't worth the risk at this point

Associate
yeah ^ this, I don't let my kids use VR generally except as small demos, I definitely wouldn't be thinking of buying them their own one, there's no evidence it definitely causes problems because no one has done a study yet, which equally means there is no evidence that it is safe for kids either... each to their own but to me it isn't worth the risk at this point

Yeah I kinda go with that as young eyes are still developing and growing. If anything though it probably just puts more strain on the eyes. But time and studies will tell I guess. I'm 50 so already way past caring. I just need more action and adventure in my life LOL :p

Back
Top Bottom