VR systems check

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been looking at getting VR for a while but the initial outlay has always put me off. I'm in a position got get a kit now as a few of us are looking at VR development.

Looks like I'll be getting a Oculus Rift S initially.

Question is, will it work with my current system which is pretty old now but has had some minor updates along the way.

SSD and 16gb Ram (can't remember speeds but it was the top one of the motherboard)
An old i7, think it's a 3770
Either an AMD 270x or 280 gfx card. think it's the 270x.

I'm still playing a lot of games on high settings without any issues so I've not seen the need to update.

Soldato
It's below minimum spec - bottom end recommended card is GTX 960 or R9 290... on the CPU front you may be ok in terms of performance but due to the age it might tell you it's below spec.

You can run this btw and it'll tell you, there used to be an oculus specific one but seems they deprecated it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/

These are the details, same for rift or rift s:

Here are the Oculus Rift System Requirements (Minimum)
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 / AMD FX-4350
  • CPU SPEED: Info
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 960 4GB / AMD Radeon R9 290 or greater
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4 GB
Oculus Rift Recommended Requirements
  • CPU: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • CPU SPEED: Info
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD Radeon R9 290 or greater
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4 GB

Soldato
OP
thanks for the info, that was my fear but saw conflicting info online, some saying it was still usable for VR and others saying it would just die.

Guess I'll need to look and an update all round then :(

Soldato
The biggest issue is the GPU, I imagine the CPU will probably work...

Pick up a 5700xt in the deals if you can - available here for 299 after rebates - has to be the best bang for the buck going at the moment! https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...es-cashback-bf-offer-details-inside.18870592/

If you do want a full system upgrade on the cheaper side you could see if you can find any last gen ryzen processors (like a 2700x currently 200 quid on overclockers or 2600X for a bit under 150) and a b450 board or cheaper end of x470 which would give you good upgrade paths for a zen2 or zen3 further down the line.

Back
Top Bottom