VR - the Next Generation?

Associate
The Rift and Vive seem to be bedding in as established hardware. The software is still developing, but there are some good examples which make the best of the VR hardware.

But prompted by the discussion on HTC selling up, I thought I'd create an open ended thread about how VR could develop next.

The current VR headsets are great, but could be improved. There's emerging things like foveated rendering, wireless, greater comfort etc. But, what would you like to see, think is realistic, or are aware of that may take VR forward. Discuss...

Associate
I suppose the new Microsoft compatible VR/AR headsets could be counted as next generation given resolution is a fair bit higher then the Rift or Vive. It remains to be seen how much better they are in practice, if at all.

Soldato
The Rift and Vive seem to be bedding in as established hardware. The software is still developing, but there are some good examples which make the best of the VR hardware.

But prompted by the discussion on HTC selling up, I thought I'd create an open ended thread about how VR could develop next.

The current VR headsets are great, but could be improved. There's emerging things like foveated rendering, wireless, greater comfort etc. But, what would you like to see, think is realistic, or are aware of that may take VR forward. Discuss...

are they?

Associate
I think they missed a trick, the most impressive and immersive experience is playing cockpit games racing/flight/space...

What would be really cool is a VR helmet with good audio and ventilation for comfort. The screens could be attached to the "visor" which would be easier to remove when you need to real stuff, that said an external camera that displays pic in pic or something so you can see rl controls would be useful.

It's all about weight and resolution. In a book called Ready Player One (highly recommended) which is being butchered into a film out next year, it's all about VR and the tech is laser projection onto the retina, haptic feedback suits, devices to generate smells, movement rigs which transform into exercise machines...the possibilities are endless.

Back
Top Bottom