VR vs 4K

Soldato
4K is just yet another revision of 2D gaming, and isn't even ultrawide yet. VR is a different experience. If I had to choose between playing pCars2 on my ultrawide 1440p monitor or my low resolution Vive, I'd choose the Vive every time.

Oculus Go isn't really proper VR in my book due to lack of 6dof.

I currently have a PS4 Pro with a PSVR headset and it's such a game changing experience that I've pretty much ignored the idea of 4k gaming since getting it though I'll no doubt upgrade to a 4k TV eventually.

FWIW I bought an Oculus Go about a month ago and returned it a week later as I was simply bored of it and it wasn't anywhere near as good as the Playstation setup. As above the lack of 6DOF head motion tracking spoils the experience and as does just having a single controller since you really need one for each hand else it ruins the immersion.

Associate
Heheh, the more i hear people saying they wont go back to flat screen gaming after using VR, the more i can start to believe the film Ready Player One may actually become reality!
There are very few flat games that I play now, and when I do I want to play them in VR, No Mans Sky being an example, all I played for years was FPS’s, but now after playing BAM, Onward and Pavlov, I’ll NEVER play a flatscreen FPS again, they are just boring now.
One day we will see a big budget FPS game like Battlefield or an Arma game in VR, and believe it’s going to be sooner rather than later.

Associate
Now I've run VR for a few months, I find it very hard going back to "normal" gaming, at any resolution.
I was like this, I bought my Rift in last years ‘Summer if Rift’ sale, and used it every day, that was until the heat wave hit, as much as I love VR, playing in this heat is just impossible for me, I have barely touched my Rift for 6/7 weeks, I’m missing it, but I’m really enjoying No Mans Sky and my old go to favourite, Rust.

Asa

Asa

Associate
I was like this, I bought my Rift in last years ‘Summer if Rift’ sale, and used it every day, that was until the heat wave hit, as much as I love VR, playing in this heat is just impossible for me, I have barely touched my Rift for 6/7 weeks, I’m missing it, but I’m really enjoying No Mans Sky and my old go to favourite, Rust.

Same here, love VR but cannot wear a headset in this weather.

I'm also keen to get VR2 with better resolution/FOV/wireless etc... but more so I'm just desperate to get rid of Oculus God Rays.

Soldato
Its awesome Roddy, best driving game on VR, totally new experience on VR.

Couldn't get my bro in law out of the man cave today - he was having too much fun in PC2! It really is a very well done VR experience, especially considering it isn't VR exclusive.

I also personally found the handling, especially wet handling, to be significantly improved over the original. No messing around needed for good force feedback either like the old version.

Associate
Way too hot for VR at the moment, I was giving it the beans in PC2 the other night and I was sweating buckets, literally drenched in sweat. My heart rate must have been up as well because my fitbit recorded it as an exercise session lol. I've never had that gaming on a flat screen.

Soldato
VR still has a way to go, but VR over 4k any day. With VR your IN the game, not just looking at it through a small window. You get a sense of immersion in VR which you just can't have on a monitor.

Once VR sets are half the size they are now and the image is as sharp as a monitor, gaming in 2D will be dead.

Associate
After reading this thread I want VR even more lol time to max out the credit card :(.. what would you go for Vive original or Rift? Thanks Guys..

Soldato
I have a Rift, and I love it.

I am biased, but here's my take:

Rift is cheaper, has much better controllers, built in headphones, less screen door effect, larger sweet spot in the lenses, and has better store exclusive games. Also Oculus customer support is very good.
On the downside a 3rd sensor is recommended at extra cost for better tracking, and you need a PC that has good USB3 support (though you can get an add-in card if your PC needs more USB3 ports).

Vive has better tracking for large areas, slightly bigger FOV, and the tracking system will be used by other headsets if you upgrade in future. Better controllers (Knuckles) will be available at some point, but will be an extra cost. One big issue is that HTC support is apparently very bad. It can be a lot of hassle to get warranty support and the Vive wands aren't very reliable.

Soldato
I also have a Rift and recently picked up a GO as well :D

Rift is cheaper, has much better controllers, built in headphones, less screen door effect, larger sweet spot in the lenses, and has better store exclusive games. Also Oculus customer support is very good.
On the downside a 3rd sensor is recommended at extra cost for better tracking, and you need a PC that has good USB3 support (though you can get an add-in card if your PC needs more USB3 ports).

Agree apart from third sensor, I am only using two and never had an issue, although if I did run into an issue then its no hassle adding the extra sensor :)

Back
Top Bottom