VR

Associate
Hey guys, so I am considering getting VR for my PC and looking at the HTC Vive Pro, just wondering if my setup will run it well enough really. I currently use 2 x 980ti's but considering changing to a pair of 1080ti's if need be. The Vive Pro seems to be the best one going by reviews, please correct me if I am wrong. Cost does not matter here, I just want the best for performance and best resolution.

Soldato
Single 980 Ti is fine anyway so a 1080 Ti will be better and allow super sampling which the Steam/Vive software sets anyway by default and yeah currently the ViVE Pro is currently the best hardware VR headset with room scale and properly tracked hand controls.

There are benchmarks for VR so look them up.

Don't know if SLI is supported myself without searching and may actually add latency unless properly supported so research that aspect to save hassle.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys, well if a single 980ti is enough I will try with my 980ti x 2 and if need be just disable one of them, if that does not suffice I will buy a single higher card. Going to pick one of these headsets up in the next 3 or 4 weeks.
Edit - Just watched a Linus video and now I realise you don't get the controllers or base unit with it, the headset is heavy and he says the difference in ther resolution over the original Vive isn't a game changer. Is it worth buying rather than the original guys? And if that is the case, the the original the best apart from the pro?

Last edited:
Associate
You can get the pro in a bundle with the v1 controllers and base units, but there are v2 tracking units which are improved over the originals and match the pro's colour which will be bundled with it at some point in the future. It seems they rushed the new headset out before waiting for the rest of the kit that goes with it to be ready.

People have said that although the pro is easier to fit, it's less secure on the head in more frantic moments. I've also seen some complaints of audio quality. Not saying that they're common but I have seen them.

The Vive Pro will have a noticeably higher resolution than the Vive or rift, but apparently it's not an absolute game changer.

Personally I would say don't rule out the rift, unless you want the absolute best large room scale experience then the rift comes pretty close, and it definitely has the best motion controllers at the moment and I would say the best store/software too.

The Vive definitely comes out on top if you have a large area to work in, as it supports larger play areas (especially when V2 tracking arrives), whereas on the rift you need to purchase an extra third sensor, which will take up another usb port. The tracking is great on the rift but for larger play space the Vive has the edge.

Associate
I've read that having a 1080ti gives you the extra power to up the super sampling.

the HTC vive comes with, headset, two sensors and two remotes for £500. i'd check when that linus vid was released.

Associate
OP
Tbh guys I will be using whatever I buy in my PC room and maybe the living room for other members of the family to try. I have been watching videos for some of the other models and it is just the higher resolution of the pro that interests me really. Do we know when Ocuk will stock the Pro + controller and base unit bundles?

Associate
If money is no object, then the Vive Pro is arguably the best headset, in term of resolution that is.
Would I buy one over the Vive or Rift? No.
After using both extensively, I bought the Rift, in built headphones, lighter, home 2.0 is cool, oculus funded titles, and most of all the controllers, the oculus touch controllers, to me at least, blew the Vive wands out of the water. The downside of the rift is the set up and lack of room scale out of the box.

If money is no object however, the Vive/Pro are getting official wireless adapters and better controllers that do seem to resemble the oculus touch

Associate
OP
Thanks Donohue07 and everyone else I appreciate the help and guidance, I am new to VR and I think I will go for the Vive Pro after hearing all of this. Hopefully in a few weeks there will be a bundle on Ocuk which include the controllers and base unit too.

Associate
well i have a 1080ti and just got the vive with the deluxe head strap which makes it like the oculus with the headphones on it , i was going to go all out for the pro and done a bit of research and seen the vive is just as good as the pro and tbh wouldn't really notice the resolution increase , but 800 for headset then 110 for a light house but if doing room scale will need 2 of them and about a 100 for a single controller again need 2 , the current vive gets your foot into the vr and see if you like it as its not for everyone , and if like it the pro headset will come down and can use with current vive set up so 500 a lot better than over 1000 and say you don't like it you won't get back what you paid for it due to hygienic reasons but thats my opinion and input

Permabanned
TBH, the Vive Pro is a huge waste of money, especially if this is your first step into VR. Get a Rift or Samsung Odyssey (if you want the higher resolution) and wait for gen 2.

Associate
OP
I have never used VR on the PC, however my son has VR on his PS4 which we bought him for his birthday last week, now the resolution isn't the same with it being console but I really enjoyed the experience still and to be fair to Sony it ran great for what it is (And I hate consoles and still say that haha). The Vive Pro I understand is going to cost a lot more than the Vive, it is just the resolution change that most interests me like I said. I am considering getting the Pro and then changing for the newer Gen when they come out in the future if the difference is large enough. I have been watching a lot of review videos and many say the Pro is worth it, whereas many say it isn't, very conflicting stories and it doesn't help.

Soldato
It's tricky because resolution on its own doesn't necessarily make for hugely better better image quality, though of course bigger resolution does help.
Lenses, panel type (OLED, LCD, Pentile, etc.) and field of view all make a difference.

For instance the Rift doesn't have a better resolution than the standard Vive, but the lenses have a bigger 'sweet spot', and the panel pixel arrangement means it has less of the 'screen door' effect than the Vive. It also has a slightly narrower FOV, which makes for a slightly larger apparent resolution (more pixels per degree of view), so text tends to be more readable.

So though the Vive Pro is undoubtedly much better than the Vive due to the increased resolution, it isn't as much of a step up from the Rift, especially as it uses the same lenses as the Vive with the smaller sweet spot. (though it is a step up, no doubt about it).

Also supersampling can vastly improve image quality, so if you have a good GPU you can brute-force a better experience.

I'm biased as I'm a Rift owner, but I would go for the Rift over the standard Vive just because the touch controllers are light years ahead of the Vive Wands. Oculus Touch is like having your hands present in VR, while the Vive Wands are like using tools in VR.

Hand presence makes a huge, huge difference, which is why Valve are creating the Knuckles controllers that will make the Vive much better in this regard (when they ever get around to releasing them).

Associate
do you live close to the showroom could go by and try the different headsets out some say vive some say rift some say either so its down to your preference

Back
Top Bottom