vw dvd sat nav and ipod prep

Associate
Hi guys,
i have a VW Eos and currently i have installed the dvd sat nav and the 6 disk cd changer, but i am getting fedup of having to burn everything to cd to play in the car. so i have been thinging about getting the ipod prep, it will mean that i wont be able to use the cd changer but i dont mind about that....

but what i want to know is how good the ipod prep is, can you control it from the builtin stereo or do you have to use the ipod.

thanks

k3v

k3v

Associate
I can't help you other than there is a forum dedicated to vw sat navs, I'm afraid I can't remember the name either!! I found it through the uk-mk4 website though

Associate
You control the iPod using the HU. It sees it as a CD changer, each CD being one of the playlists on the iPod, CD 1 being the first playlist and so on. Hope this is of some help:)

Soldato
I have the Ipod prep on my Golf and it replaces the cd changer as it uses the same input.

You can select 5 playlists, 1-5, playlist 6 plays all the tracks on the Ipod one after the other. It's controlled via the stereo unit so no problems there, the only downside is that it doesn't display track names.

Associate
OP
thanks for the replys guys, it sounds like the ipod addon isnt as smart as i would have expected, not showing track names and only 5 propper play lists....

thanks for the replys again

Associate
stuartam said:
thanks for the replys guys, it sounds like the ipod addon isnt as smart as i would have expected, not showing track names and only 5 propper play lists....

thanks for the replys again

On the plus side, the sound quality is excellent and it also charges the iPod too:)

Soldato
hominid said:
I have the Ipod prep on my Golf and it replaces the cd changer as it uses the same input.

You can select 5 playlists, 1-5, playlist 6 plays all the tracks on the Ipod one after the other. It's controlled via the stereo unit so no problems there, the only downside is that it doesn't display track names.

Does the shuffle mode still work?

Is there a limit on the number of tracks per playlist?

Soldato
Tomsk said:
Does the shuffle mode still work?

Is there a limit on the number of tracks per playlist?

Shuffle mode still works on playlists. I have playlists that are over 80 long so I don't think there is a limit, maybe 100 as there is only a 2 digit numerical display, but I cannot confirm that.

Soldato
There is a dealer fit option for a fixed price of £150 fitted, its basically a dension ipod adaptor rebadged VW. I have the dension one fitted to mine and it works fine. You can have play lists over 100 tracks the display on the headunit goes back to 1 but the ipod is on track 100.

I got the dension kit for £85 online it was pretty easy to fit took about 45 mins as you need to take the headunit out and run the cable to the glove box. I recon if I was to do it again 20 mins tops now I know all the ins and outs. As the VW headunit don't support CD text you can't get the track names on the headunti, not that big a deal to be honest. However if you have the DVD headunit you can buy a cable on line that plugs the video out of the ipod into the video in on the headunit so you could at least watch the videos etc off it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Slackworth said:
Try www.navplus.us It's mainly meant for the Audi RNS-E but the two systems aren't that much different.
AFAIK, they're completely different units which is actually surprising - you'd think Audi & VW would share tech in such areas.

That said, the description of the iPod interface in this thread sounds exactly like the Audi one so they're obviously sharing some technology in this area.

Soldato
There is also a factory fit USB port option, would have thought an aftermarket version would be available soon.

I'm about to order a new Passat sport and was looking at various methods of adding mp3 playback, as the current models aren't advertised with it.

Whilst discussing factory/dealer audio options with the dealer such as ipod/USB stick add-ons, he told me the latest headunits are now mp3 capable, and any repair replacements would be also.

May be worth seeing if the DVD head units are being upgraded as well.

Back
Top Bottom