VW Up paint touch up

Associate
Hi all

Long story but my partner reversed my car into a stone wall and I need to touch up the bumper.

she's paying so whatever. I just want to touch up the scratches and they are quite deep as you can imagine.

The colour is K5/10 TUNGSTEN SILVER MET but I'm wary as there are many paint touch up kits out there and the reviews are often negative because it's the wrong colour.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a brand that tends to be very colour accurate?

Kinda like Apple takes colour accuracy seriously so their products are more colour accurate.

I will try get the original kit but I'm struggling to make a decision.

Thanks all for your help!

Associate
OP
I mean, you're not wrong Darael but it's on the bumper and we can't really afford to pay for a professional to do it right now.

I would also just replace the bumper if I had to in the long rung. I've never done touch ups before. I just want it to look less scratched.

Soldato
Do you need a 100mls of paint ... how big is the scratch ? so isn't a touch up 5ml from vw adequate ?

if it's a scratch versus scuff then prep + getting the paint just in the scratch is important.
following a keying
.. I bought a glass fibre propelling pencil to prep the surface, IPA, also a fine tipped paint-brush to build up the paint layers.

Soldato
I used Paints4u when I touched up a few stones chips recently. They came recommended on Detailing World and, in my limited sample of 1, I’d also recommend them. I bought paint with the clearcoat mixed in and it matched perfectly.

Associate
OP

Photos!

Soldato
OK that's gouged ..
if you don't go for a full pro repair, would have to chamfer off the protuding paint with a scalpel/razor-blade, maybe a very fine dremmel milling tip.

Don

Photos!

There is no way you can make that look better with touch up paint - arguably touch up paint may make it look even worse!

I'd start with some scratch removal paste, which will remove/minimise a lot of the smaller scratches, and may help "feather" the edges of the deeper scratches so they are a bit less agressive (but as it's plastic, as above you may need to get a scalpel to physically trim some of the plastic that has been pushed outwards)

Associate
OP
Will try that paste but they are quite heavy gauges so, yeah.

Might go to the garage up the way and see what they say about it too. They probably use a professional car paint company so I can go in for a quote

Soldato
Worse that I expected - Would find a well reviewed smart repairer and send some photo’s to get a rough quote and then if you decide DIY Route take it from there.

To get a rough idea I know Chips Away (Large Franchise) gives quotes via email from photographs of damage provided, not used or really recommending them but could help you get a price comparison/idea.

Don
Worse that I expected - Would find a well reviewed smart repairer and send some photo’s to get a rough quote and then if you decide DIY Route take it from there.

To get a rough idea I know Chips Away (Large Franchise) gives quotes via email from photographs of damage provided, not used or really recommending them but could help you get a price comparison/idea.

Chips away were ~£250 for something much smaller/easier than that last time I used them. Arguably a proper bodyshop would probably only charge around £400 for a full bumper prep and respray.

If it's a common car/colour, it may be easier/cheaper to get a second hand bumper that's in better condition.

Soldato
Chips away were ~£250 for something much smaller/easier than that last time I used them. Arguably a proper bodyshop would probably only charge around £400 for a full bumper prep and respray.

If it's a common car/colour, it may be easier/cheaper to get a second hand bumper that's in better condition.

I would go with this if you are really bothered about body work damage, it will be cheaper. You can then spend a bit of time doing a reasonable job on your old one and sell it.

Soldato
If you were to do it yourself, you would need to sand it down, fill the holes, and then respray with a rattle can. Probably not easy to get a good paint finish, but do-able if you take the time to research the techniques.

Back
Top Bottom