W00t - burning-in 4tw - 3.1Ghz on Water (Opty 146)

Soldato
OP
Mikey1280 said:
Jimbo what is that strange contraption beneath your rad?

It's an IKEA wine rack housing an aluminium box, inside which are two AQX 50Z pumps in series. They are fed by the large tube you can see to the right. It's a DIY bleed tube/res, feeding the first pump with a 3/4" tube (ID). Rest of the loop is 1/2" ID.

Soldato
OP
tom_nieto said:
My RAM is going to let me down,

No it won't.

EDIT: CS||nuTs, my memory is PC3200, how much does system performance suffer with slower speeds? Do the dividers affect system performance adversely?

No. Use a divider. Just keep the memory at whatever it will do, but get the CPU as high as possible. If that means running the memory slower, even below 200 Mhz, do it. CPU speed is everything on the 939 platform.

Soldato
OP
Bundles said:
On a side note, if it does 3.1 stable at 1.65v, but you're running 1.7v to be safe, what does it do stable at 1.7v? then when you give it a bit more to be safe, what does it do stable at that voltage?

It doesn't. Even with just a shade over 1.7v, it won't even do 3.13Ghz. You can see on the graph it's topped out.

The only reason I go (relatively) carefully with CPU voltage is that (as I said) I killed a really nice 3000 Venice and it took until this Opty 146 to get a decent clocking chip again. OK, so the death was most likely due to the bug in the CPU Special on the DFI Ultra D, but even so.

My OCZ is overvolted to 3.6v on the 3.3v line, and I've done the jumper trick to feed my RAM as much as I want (upto ~ 3.4v anyway) and my X1900XT is overvolted as far as it will go without a hard mod (which I'm reluctant to do at its current price!). I have hardmodded at least 3 other gfx cards though, so I'm not averse to the idea.

Don't tempt me to the spark side! I'm already there!

:)

Associate
Jimbo Mahoney said:
It's an IKEA wine rack housing an aluminium box, inside which are two AQX 50Z pumps in series. They are fed by the large tube you can see to the right. It's a DIY bleed tube/res, feeding the first pump with a 3/4" tube (ID). Rest of the loop is 1/2" ID.

Ahhh right, when you put pumps in series should they be right next to each other or spread out throughout the loop? Does it make a difference?

Soldato
OP
Mikey1280 said:
Ahhh right, when you put pumps in series should they be right next to each other or spread out throughout the loop? Does it make a difference?

Don't know. I have then right next to one another.

On, and in reply to your question in another thread, that's not a 120.3 ;)

That's a car radiator with 4 x 120mm fans on it. It has something like 3 times the surface area of a 120.3 (I forget exactly how big the core is), plus it cost ~ £15 from a local scrappy, although it was brand new. :D Granted, I needed to bodge some 1/2" barbs into it and fashion my own shroud, but you can't come close to the heat dissipation, hence water temps, with a PC rad or heatercore.

Soldato
Jimbo Mahoney said:
No it won't.

No. Use a divider. Just keep the memory at whatever it will do, but get the CPU as high as possible. If that means running the memory slower, even below 200 Mhz, do it. CPU speed is everything on the 939 platform.

You're right there, the fact that my 7900GTX is borked and has terrible video corruption in windows is letting me down! I just wanted to play HL2 Episode 1 at 1920 x 1200, is that too much to ask?

Soldato
Jimbo Mahoney said:
PICT0001_small.jpg

sweet! it's a triumph of function over form!

I wonder what the missus would say if one of those pitched up in the dining room... hmm ;)

Wise Guy
Soldato
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Don't tempt me to the spark side! I'm already there!

:)

Glad to here it me ole mucker :)

Nice to find someone else just like myself that pushes there computer as hard as it will go, and not just as hard as they are willing to go, imo that makes you a true overclocker :)

Permabanned
Bundles said:
Glad to here it me ole mucker :)

Nice to find someone else just like myself that pushes there computer as hard as it will go, and not just as hard as they are willing to go, imo that makes you a true overclocker :)

Yea, but you only need to look at the top of the super pi and overclocking records charts that weescott made for that ;)

Wise Guy
Soldato
welshtom said:
Yea, but you only need to look at the top of the super pi and overclocking records charts that weescott made for that ;)

Aye, but i prefer not to, every time i do i see all those pesky AMD's and my wallet yelps and runs into the corner. :p

(note to self: AMD > P4 @ SPi)

Back
Top Bottom