waht have i done to my Pc... big performance loss !

Soldato
guys... last couple days i notcied a loss in performance with my PC, HL2 was playing VERY choppy averaging 20 FPs, and DoD"S was just terrible.
everyhtign seems slower than normal

to put it tot he test i dug out the scraps of paper with my sandrea benchmarks on and ran some select ones...

CPU arithmatic test:
before: dhry - 16161 / whet - 7605
now: dhry - 5909 / whet - 2816

CPU multimedia:
before: integer - 33711 / floating - 39978
after : integer - 12294 / floating - 12702

even the memory has been effected:
before: int buff'd - 4961 / float - 4962
after : int buff'd - 1945 / float - 1941
what could ahve happened to my PC to cause this ? i havnt changed any jhardware except a soundcard, and im running the benchmarks in the same environment ( the scores are pretty much the same when i have apps runnign too though )

the only significant changes ive made are :
new X-fi soundcard
uninstalled CSS:S
installed swat 4

ive allready give my discs a defrag and thats made no difference.
thankls in advance
Rick

Edit: guys it gets worse...just ran PCmark 04
before:5925
now : 2407

Last edited:
Associate
I had a pentium p4 that suddenly ran VERY slow mostly in games. It turned out that there wasn't any good thermal paste left on the core and apparently it was running very hot, and because of this the automatic thermal throtling turned down the cpu speed - hence the low speeds overall.

Edit saw you got water cooling - so I reckon your tems are ok - sorry.

Soldato
OP
epoxy i was thinking the same. about the temps... my dual core naturaly gets hot. but i dont think this is the cause... ive even cranked every fan up including the radiator fan upto full now, and i ran the benchmarks when my CPU speed was around 45C ( it normaly idles around 41C )

edit:
by the way im using the official intel heatpads they suply ( just to keep my waranty all huny dory if my ... ahem retail heatsink and fan fail :p )
these are all ive ever used and a new one was applied just after christmas with my mobo / ram upgrade

temps at the moment ( baring inmind benches were done only a few mins ago are : ( according to PC wizzard 05)
cpu: 38C
mobo: 34C
power:27C
GPU : 49C
HDD 1: 36C
HDD 2:28C

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
guys ive just thought !
on saturday mornig ( 25th) there was a power cut... everything went off for say a second, then back on... ofcourse my PC turned off !
a that point i said "im glad i have that surge protector"

its a masterplug unlimited claim one btw

could this be a cause ? then again id think that resulting damage of any power thing if any would be either fatal or none at all.

Soldato
One point, you can use AS5, they arnt going to know if you use the wrong TIM, itll be atleast a few deg less using some.

Tried resetting CMOS for 30 misn to clear everything??

Conc

Permabanned
Asus%20P5ND2.jpg

I've highlighted the jumper you need to concentrate on.

Turn the computer off - completely, as in unplug the PSU. Move the small jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 - leave for 10 seconds, and put the jumper back to pins 1-2.

That's the BIOS/CMOS reset complete. ;)

It only resets the settings, so you won't need to flash the BIOS (install it) again. However, a BIOS upgrade wouldn't hurt, if one is available.

Soldato
OP
so ... when i restart... i wont need to do anything right ? it should just start up as normal ?
what does this acctually do ? may aswell learn a few things while im going :) lol
thanks a lot for taking the time to produce that picture too mate. your too kind !

ive got the latest bios too i think.
just cant understand why this has happened ... 'random' comes to mind :)
thanks again ill wait a bit before i try it for a reply then ill post back !!
Rick

oh by the way just noticed ** from darlo ! , i live in sunderland :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
R B CUSTOMS said:
so ... when i restart... i wont need to do anything right ? it should just start up as normal ?
what does this acctually do ? may aswell learn a few things while im going lol
thanks a lot for taking the time to produce that picture too mate. your too kind !
Right power machine down, unplug from mains. Reset BIOS, and power computer up. Go into the BIOS, set everything to how you want it, and the job's a good 'un. :cool:
R B CUSTOMS said:
ive got the latest bios too i think.
just cant understand why this has happened ... 'random' comes to mind :)
thanks again ill wait a bit before i try it for a reply then ill post back !!
Rick
It's quite easy, and very risk free. All you're doing is resetting the settings to their factory defaults. The "tedious" part is having to set everything again. ;)
R B CUSTOMS said:
oh by the way just noticed ** from darlo ! , i live in sunderland :)
A commoner then. :D

Soldato
OP
okie dokey :)
ill give it a bash
throttleing.. theres a new word i learnt yesterday. still have no idea what it means though :p
im gonna do the cmos NOW... im still puzzled about how this has happened if i havnt changed anything :(
yuo think it could be anythign to do with that powercut ?

Thanks
Rick
... i divent be not no commoner like man !

Soldato
OP
well would you look at that !!
its worked !
so what have i done to my Pc lol to make me fear the worst ! ... maybe ill just forget it happened :)

thanks a bunch ghuys !! really appriciate it !
basmic ill send you a 2 litre bottle of sunderlands finest white cider lol :p

all scores are back to normal guys !
thanks a lot !
oh... didnt check the temp in bios but now it is... 43C ( ive finaly found the best balance on the fancontrol between cooling and noise :)
thanks again !
Rick

im off to celebrate with some pancakes now !!! just realied its that day of the year again :)... could it get any better !

edit:
FPS in games is still a little to be desired :S unless it was always like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
NOOOOOO!
its gone back !
after i reset the CMOS, i didnt chnage anything on the bios, started PC done the tests and the sores were back to normal, i then restarted my PC , gone into the bios and disabled the CPU fan alert( it beeps on startup cos theres nothing plugged into it :p )
started PC, noticed games were no different, made an edit to last post, and ive just done the test again now and the scores are back to the LOWER scores !
dont believe it !

Soldato
OP
done a thourough test with NOD 32 on everything... not a sausage !
and im VERY careful with trogans ( i know you can never be sure... but i try )
zone alarm just gives me the usual suspects as far as spyware goes (gamespy etc)

im baffled... this seems to be way beyond my knowledge of PCs
my mind is still drifting toward that power cut !
Rick

Soldato
OP
47 proceesses
but again... nothing out of the ordinary. nothings changed over the last few days... just uninstalled a game, and installed one, and ofcourse the powercut.

skype, xfire,, ts nod32, zone alarm, steam, nothing that i dont usualy have running.
but even so im doing the benches with as little running as possible AND when i have my normal apps running.
Rick

Associate
well it must be something that is set in the bios. Which is then being changed again after you have been running a while..?

you tried resetting cmos again, let it run and see what changes after you get the problem again. Hitting delete at startup lets you see the settings.

Soldato
OP
ill reset the cmos again and not change ANTYTHING... i can put up with the fan warnign for a few days im sure... but thats all i changed tonight ( its all ive ever chaged in the bios acctually)

im encoding atm, but when its done ill restart and bench bench bench.

Back
Top Bottom