waht have i done to my Pc... big performance loss !

basmic said:
Asus%20P5ND2.jpg

I've highlighted the jumper you need to concentrate on.

Turn the computer off - completely, as in unplug the PSU. Move the small jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 - leave for 10 seconds, and put the jumper back to pins 1-2.

That's the BIOS/CMOS reset complete. ;)

It only resets the settings, so you won't need to flash the BIOS (install it) again. However, a BIOS upgrade wouldn't hurt, if one is available.

we are not worthy !!!! That is some troubleshooting skill !

EDIT - strange that the problem came back thou...

virus? Malware? worth perhaps giving the ole pc a scan :) NM didnt see the other post above..... :) might be worth installing the chipset drivers again. The Sound Card might have buggered summit up, dl and Install the latest INF drivers for your mobo, worth a bash.

Last edited:
erm 47 processes? wth lol, i run 25 processes. go to run in the start menu and turn off all un essential processes by typing msconfig in the run box. see if the laggy game play occurs after that.

click on the services list tab for all processes currently running. also you might want to disable any processes you dont really want on, saves resources:). anyway tlel me how it goes..

If i'm having PC probs then i always do this:

1) Update and run Ad-aware full scan.
2) Update and run Spybot S&D.
3) Run Microsoft Defender and scan
4) Remove internet temporary files
5) Shut down unwated processes (as mentioned)
6) Give all the HDD's a full defrag.
7) Re-install Video drivers
8) Change AGP arpature (sp?) size to 256mb in the BIOS and turn fastwrites off.
9) Test out another game to see if the above has any effect and see how the performance is.

10) Format :D :o

I can guarantee that your PC is running just as it was, it's just steam updates always find a way to decrease performace in any HL2 based game. it happens after even minor updates.

Get the Bios again either download from Asus website via their utility or stick it on a floppy & or use the Asus CD that came with it as that will usually have the Bios file on.

Sometimes your Bios can become corrupt and a reflash may cure it.

Happened to me last week when overclocking the bios + backup bios on the mobo both corrupted after an extreme overclock test!

right this is truly bizzare...
i didnt bother doing anything else to it last night after encoding that dvd, and i just turned it off... came back from school today, turned it on ( forgettign i was meant to dot he scmos again) and thought what the hey, ill do the becncjies again, ... sandra and PC mark are now back to normal and my game FPS is now between 80 and 130 FPS !! i even aseen it at 170 in tunnels etc !

ive sdont nothuign since last night and its sorted its self out :S
durch guy... does this happen ? ive only had the mainboard since january . bought it brand new... i suppose it makes sense >?

again everyone thanks for all the kind help. but soemtimes... computers really do seem asif they have a mind of their own !

i will make an edit later on tonight on this post juist to confirm that all is back to normal ... hope thats wehat im going to be able to post at least !
Rick

ZG002... sunny ... your having a laught right lol... welcome none the less :)

Next time when you see low scores shut down programs so you have only the desktop and the background tasks, then check with the Taskmanager to see what the CPU usage is, it should be only a few percent, if it is a lot check the proccesses tab to see which program is using all the CPU power.

as i said. when ive been running the becnhes, ive been doign them with MINIMAL apps open / processes, AND been doing them wirth everything that runs at start up.
as im typing this with music playing and loads of windows etc open my CPU is ticking at around 2-7% overall

im very confident it has nothign to do with any programs that are or are not runnign in the background. ive never changed the way i use my PC for months, the programsthat are open are msot of the time the same old same old.

oh and a note about the fan warnings... its juist to tell me my cpu fan has died.. its just a warning and doesnt affect performance. it comes up cos theres nothing plugged into it as a result of water cooling :)
so i dont see why it woudl affect anything wether its left on or disabled ( liek it is now )

CPU Internal Thermal Monitor Control : auto
limit CPUID MaxVal : disabled
Ecectute Disable Bit : enabled

i dont know what the settigns were before it went wrong... i presume they were the same as ive never chnaged them before :)

well i said id post back...
its gone BACK to the low scores agaion... ive been playing HL@ for a bit tonight, then talkin on skype, then joined a frind in D0D:s... noticed my FPS was about 15 again, came off done a couple benchmarks and sure enough im back to the low scores again !!!

the high and low scores are consistant though. when low the scores are always around about the same give or take a couple units,
and when high they are all the same give or take a few.
this suggests to me that its being consistantly decreased... underclocked ?

the copper block on my CPU doesnt feel what id describe as hot, just warm.
sysetem temps at the moment are
CPU: 50C ( fan on raditor is on lower )
mobo : 40C

i dont understand what is happening... could soemone explain this throttling thing to me ?

Last edited:
This may not help, but it sure will point you in the right direction.

Goto Start:

select Run and type msconfig

Select the Boot.ini tab and check the SAFEBOOT box.

Reeboot the computer and see if the slowdown still occurs.

This boots up the PC with no drivers or other non Windows software. If the machine is still slow, then you have a system / bios / hardware problem.

If the system is OK, then it is some program or driver that is causing the issue, and you will have to selectively disable each startup program / driver to determine which one is causing the slowdown issues.

It may take some time, but is the only surefire way of isolating your problems.

Hope this helps you out.

Chocki.

choki ill give it a try !
i have noticed a pattern though...
few hours ago i returned my PC off and ive just returned to it, started it,done 2 of the benchmarks - back to high scores again. started DoD:S up and wham ! 60-100 FPS !

im curious how long it will take for my system to go slow again. i think i will run the benchmarks every half hour from now.
i think it may be overheating and seems to be automatically underclocking its self maybe ? i dont know if it can do that or not... but thats what it seems like.
and when i ssaid my comps never been running as cold as this before... maybe thats becuase the CPU isnt doing the work it usualy does ! ?

choki i will try the safeboot when i have some time on my hands maybe tomorrow :)
Rick

that was after playing a game though.
lol it is an intel pentium dual core too... theyre known for being HOT
im gonna get some arctic silver off a mate tonight hopefully and try that.
after a few hours of use, then leaving it idle, i dont really see it sink below 48
its always been the same
just to check
i still have the original HSF, and it still has most of the heat pad stuck to it from when i removed it... if in the event that i need to RMA it and take adantage of the 3 yr waranty... will they know ive chnaged the cooler / thermal pad ? aslong as i clean all the A-S off prior to sending it ? im quite scared of voiding my waranty.

im at college at the moment but when i 'return to base' ill double check mounting of the waterblock. and apply some arctic silver if i can get ahold of any.

is that bios information correct by the way ?
cheers
Rick

i would sugest you look at the time/date next time its running slow....cos i think as has been posted before its the MB battery ......if the time/date is wrong when its running slow...then replace the battery and it should solve your problems.

unfotunatly just because the board is fairly new dosnt mean it hasnt been sitting on a shelf for 6months in a wharehouse.

Like I said before it probably overheating, this causes the CPU to throttle (slow down) to protect it from getting even hotter.

Run it with the case open and see if that helps.

and it still has most of the heat pad stuck to it from when i removed it

what the hell? the heatpad is not really re-usable once you've broken the mould by removing the sink heat transfer will then be hindered.

Back
Top Bottom