Wait longer for a better VR for sim use?

Associate
First post !
Building a DOF p3 sim soon and can`t decide between x 3 monitors or VR.
Problem is , i am old school and having spent years buying the latest ,better , resolution everything , would i be taking a back step using a VR set.
I have not tried one yet ,but would the first thing i would say is " i can`t use that the resolution is too bad "
I don`t mind spending a bit more, but am i better off waiting

Associate
The most current gen (Rift S, Index) are fine and dandy and the added realism/presence is worth it.

However, everyone is different. I have friends who can't stomach the motion sensations (as it's so realistic ) without the usual g-forces that come from a real car at speed.

Soldato
What Graphics card do you have? And what CPU?

If you are purely going to play Sims and have a decent GPU, then you might consider the HP Reverb.

Soldato
The resolution is a lot better then it used to be but still on the poor side and not good enough for a lot of people. Its useable but the definition and colours of current VR headsets is miles behind a good monitor setup.

If you where doing an eye test on a VR headset against a monitor then the VR headset most readable line of text would be multiple rows worse. Still its better then it used to be and the best thing to do is try a headset before buying. Could you try a place like Zero Latency and have a go on the racing sims with a headset before buying?

Associate
OP
What Graphics card do you have? And what CPU?

If you are purely going to play Sims and have a decent GPU, then you might consider the HP Reverb.

Been looking at that one and Pimax 8k, but i think the end of the day i am going to have to jump in and spend.

I will buy a gaming PC as well now.

I have been on xbox for so long now i am a bit out of touch with PC requirements !

I don`t understand why some say that the images are pixely, as the the imaging panel in a high end projector can magnify it`s image on to a 120" screen and i can`t see any pixels , why can they not use a imaging device in a VR set as in those .

At your mercy here , looking for some recommendations from you guys .
Thanks

Soldato
The images are pixelated because the screen is two inches from your eyes. Like when you stand a few feet from a TV you can't see any pixels but when you get really close you can see them.

The Pimax headsets are no the best to get for beginners. They require a lot of tricking around with to get right.

As for PC recommendations, how long is a piece of string? Have you any idea of a budget?

Associate
OP
The images are pixelated because the screen is two inches from your eyes. Like when you stand a few feet from a TV you can't see any pixels but when you get really close you can see them.

The Pimax headsets are no the best to get for beginners. They require a lot of tricking around with to get right.

As for PC recommendations, how long is a piece of string? Have you any idea of a budget?

For a Pc budget , £600 to £800 ?, can get what is needed to run a vr set or if i have to go x3 monitors .
I think by reading on here and what experts say that vr is pixely and would p me off a bit.
So maybe x3 monitors are the way for me , and i do wear glasses sometimes.

I am ok with setting up the mechanics for a rig ect but this side of it has me guessing !

I live so far out in the country ,there are no VR display outlets for 100`s of miles anywhere for me to test.

Soldato
VR hardware moves so slow. I don't see the point in waiting. Look at the release date of the vive and CV1 to what we have now. We've barely moved half a generation forward and everyone is still beta testing new controllers or new tracking, still without major software publishers consistently contributing to the lacking games space.

Value for money has to be Rift S or Quest. I think quest once occy link comes out. I'd actually take a drop in visual fidelity for the weight of the wire to be lower.

Soldato
For a Pc budget , £600 to £800 ?, can get what is needed to run a vr set or if i have to go x3 monitors .
I think by reading on here and what experts say that vr is pixely and would p me off a bit.

I am ok with setting up the mechanics for a rig ect but this side of it has me guessing !

I live so far out in the country ,there are no VR display outlets for 100`s of miles anywhere for me to test.

If you have never tried VR, then, I wouldn't go by what those experts are saying. It's impossible to describe what VR is like, you really have to put on a headset and try it yourself.

And when you say you are 100's of mile from anywhere, where do you live? There might be a board member with a VR headset who lives close to you.

For your budget are you hoping to get three monitors as well? Or is that purely for the PC?

Soldato

Can you get a Train to one of the city's like Nottingham? Ok it might be to far for VR only but you can do an hour at a place like Zero Latency and spend the rest of the day doing other things, perhaps an escape room, shopping? VR is one of those things you really need to try before you buy. Nottingham isn't the only location its just the one I know as I go every 2 weeks for the VR tournaments.

The PvP VR match's are just not the same or anywhere near as good at home. They also do VR racing SIMS which are similar to being at home.

Associate
OP
If you have never tried VR, then, I wouldn't go by what those experts are saying. It's impossible to describe what VR is like, you really have to put on a headset and try it yourself.

And when you say you are 100's of mile from anywhere, where do you live? There might be a board member with a VR headset who lives close to you.

For your budget are you hoping to get three monitors as well? Or is that purely for the PC?
I live in the SW of uk..Anyone down here give me a demo
Please

Associate
SW is pretty broad....Plymouth has a Game shop that has the VR setup in a special gaming room. You can try one there. There's also a place that runs an OG Vive setup (as well as cnsoles for people waiting to play it) as a business.

Associate
OP
SW is pretty broad....Plymouth has a Game shop that has the VR setup in a special gaming room. You can try one there. There's also a place that runs an OG Vive setup (as well as cnsoles for people waiting to play it) as a business.

That`s great ! I did not realize there was VR shop there, i will google around to see if i can find a number for a viewing .
Ta

Associate
My son went there and they had the HTC Vive. Hopefully you can get a feel for what VR can bring to a gaming experience. When it feels like you are actually there.

Associate
OP
My son went there and they had the HTC Vive. Hopefully you can get a feel for what VR can bring to a gaming experience. When it feels like you are actually there.

Yes, i mailed them and they came back, i never knew these places existed.

VR sets/ Vive Pros , Trustmaster wheels on a moving rig with project cars 2.
So i should find my answers there , maybe they have a monitor set up too so i can compare.
Nice to know whats what before i start spending.

Soldato
VR and racing games are great together. You're much more immersed in the game and have better depth perception, there's some trade-offs though but it's not so much about the graphics. Some of the mods you can use just won't work correctly i.e. virtual readouts when playing iracing.

The new gen of VR is much better than CV1 or Vive. I've got the Index now after upgrading from CV1 and it's a huge upgrade. Text is fully legible where before it was soft and blurry. Graphics are sharp enough to really have no issues playing racing games.

The Index is meant to be better than the Vive Pro that you'll get to try out.

Soldato
The huge difference with the Index is the next to non existence of the screen door. Racing games alone that's a massive game changer, you can see clearer in to the distance without the shimmering of old.

Even so PC2 in a motion rig in VR you'll have fun regardless. Last time I was at Ocuk HQ I tried the rig they had setup which is similar to my own, with PC2 on a monitor, it felt utterly soulless.

Back
Top Bottom