Waiting for bike to drop to normal idle level from startup

Soldato
Probably get strung up on here posting in the biker's cafe thread - but just wanted some advice

but before I "have a word" or another route via official means - is it completely necessary on a sports-bike to - after starting it up - wait idling until the revs drop from "cold-elevated-bouncing around-revs" to normal revs - say 4-5 minutes - or can you just start up wait a couple of seconds and go (like I do with my car)

one of our neighbours (well a bit complicated - not a direct neighbour and in some (nice) flats so hard to work out who they are) has some sort of sports-bike (not gone to check model yet) which seems to have a ridiculously loud elevated idle noise, our house for instance is I'd say 60 yards away and not only is it very loud but you can feel the vibrations of the "rumble". If you are outside in the garden you have to completely stop a conversation as you can't hear a thing.

just to clarify - the bike is in a small private car-park which is parking for a small set of flats - so I believe it is on private property

he/she obviously uses it for work - as during spring on-wards - this is at 6am or so - which to me is pretty antisocial - must be stored during winter as don't hear it. As a guide our bedroom is the opposite side of the house to where this bike is outside - and even with windows shut its loud enough to wake you.

During the summer if goes out a few times, each time its started and left for the idle to settle

just wondered if really necessary ? seems to me a bit anti-social really ? I wanted experts views on the necessity before I took it further. I suspect its a swapped exhaust post MOT or a "friendly" MOT tester

cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
cheers .one. - I'm not normally a grumpy neighbour (most things don't wind me up) - so I've not timed it - maybe 3-4 minutes - feels a long time - but you can hear the bike switch engine managent mode - from loud bumping around elevated idle, to a nice pur - then immediately he drives off

Soldato
OP
thanks for the replies - it seems leaving to idle is not the norm - and the bikers sub-forum is more friendly than the normal motors one

when it happens again I'll try and time - to see if its just me thinking its minutes or it really is minutes and its super anti-social

then I'll take it from there

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom