Wales

Soldato
OP
Did they accept the code in store?

Haven't tried yet, i went there to get something else. I'll hopefully make a return trip today.

B4391 near Blastau Ffestiniog is a must. Pop into the Bala lake whilst you're there, it's nice for a stop.

Nice one :)
Though i've already got to the point where i'll be doubling back on myself. I'll figure it out!

Last edited:
Soldato
Kreiga are awesome, you don't need bungees with them - 4 straps attach to your subframe and it hooks onto them. I've literally just ordered 2x US20's to go with my US30 for a 70 litre tailpack :D

I have the US40 set (US20+2xUS10) and whilst they are quality bits of kit, I found using them was a massive pain in the arse. Took ages to get them all clipped together properly, they were prone to sliding around no matter how tight I did the straps up (some grip mesh stuff helped a lot though) and worst of all if you need to get something out of a bag that isn't near the end you have to pretty much unpack it and start again. It's like packing your stuff in a large toothpaste tube.

I use a conventional tailpack now, much faster to fit and much easier to get stuff in and out, though probably not as waterproof as the Kreiga kit. If I wanted lots of really waterproof storage I'd go for a single large roll bag that opens down the side instead of the end (e.g. Oxford Aqua, Kappa Dry Pack etc.)

Soldato
OP
My friend says its going to be a push to fit both Snowdonia and the north in with Brecon Beacons and the south in just 2 days with 4 hours ride to get there and back. But said since he's basically got an arm chair (GS), he's up for doing it :p lol

My arse is going to ache something horrible. No sheep jokes please.

We're going through and planning the route next weekend. In the meantime i'm planning video and luggage.

Camera:

I'm testing out the contour that Clov!s has kindly sent me and have my eye on the Git2 camera.

Luggage:

Thinking Kriega US30, but security is a worry, i'd have to carry it around with me potentially.
I've looked at Givi tailbags as they can be padlocked at least, but they're not waterproof so you have you put a cover over it, which is supplied but a pain.
I've looked at a Givi top box, but it will cost me around £180.

I'm open to suggestions.

Soldato
How much actual walking about are you gonna be doing? When you park up at a cafe etc you can normally park within view of the bike - I'd go for the US30 unless you need a load more space then the top box would be better.

Soldato
OP
That's not too bad then, I'd never be able to get my leg over the bike with a box on though :o

They're not too bad, as they stick out the back so far. Which makes it easier to get on but looks stupid IMO :p

I should just bite the bullet and blow a load of money on some proper panniers i think.

Soldato
My friend says its going to be a push to fit both Snowdonia and the north in with Brecon Beacons and the south in just 2 days with 4 hours ride to get there and back. But said since he's basically got an arm chair (GS), he's up for doing it :p lol

It is very doable. We did it last weekend - riding from Ipswich, entering Wales at the north and into Snowdonia and then down to LLandrinod Wells. Day two we went west and then south in to Brecon before heading back along the M4.

Just over 800 miles in total, and we didn't hustle. Day two was long though, as there was a road closure in the Wye Valley and then one of our team got a rear puncture so we had to stop twice - once to plug it and then again to pump gunk inside the tyre as the plug didn't 100% seal.

Soldato

My arse is going to ache something horrible. No sheep jokes please.

We're going through and planning the route next weekend. In the meantime i'm planning video and luggage.

Camera:

I'm testing out the contour that Clov!s has kindly sent me and have my eye on the Git2 camera.

Luggage:

Thinking Kriega US30, but security is a worry, i'd have to carry it around with me potentially.
I've looked at Givi tailbags as they can be padlocked at least, but they're not waterproof so you have you put a cover over it, which is supplied but a pain.
I've looked at a Givi top box, but it will cost me around £180.

I'm open to suggestions.

zzrgivi2.jpg

The givi I have will hold 2 * lids one of the most useful items I have for the zzr total

waterproof and very secure I have no problem pulling 150 with confidence and a must for bike weekends e.t.c.

The one on my vfr I would not trust so much the arms are to long things become a little wobbly over 90.

Last edited:
Soldato
Givi all the way, I've got a 47l and its awesome.

I need mine for work but it's so useful. And tom, you're a supposed to bend your leg when you get it over :p

Would love to tag a long but I'm away that weekend sadly.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to go for just a top box or stretch for a pair of panniers.

Quick question:

How much does it affect the handling/drivability of the bike? And how does the top box differ to panniers in that respect. The top box being higher up and further back compared to two panniers either side and lower down.

Man of Honour
The lower and further forward the better.

A heavy topbox dangling behind the back wheel will have a much bigger negative effect on handling.

Soldato
I'm going to go for just a top box or stretch for a pair of panniers.

Quick question:

How much does it affect the handling/drivability of the bike? And how does the top box differ to panniers in that respect. The top box being higher up and further back compared to two panniers either side and lower down.

Depends on what the top box is on, on the 12 very little but you know the difference but nothing to write home about I can fully load her tank bag e.t.c and every thing is virtually the same but heavier for the 12 it's a walk in the park.

On the vfr 750 it's kind of **** in comparison.

The nicest combo I had was when I owned a cbr1000f I could not tell the difference at all just felt like small person riding pillion.

I have 2 sets of panniers also the ride was very good I used them on my TL1000s.

Last edited:
Soldato
I honestly don't feel it but obviously it must have some effect but nothing noticeable.

The weight "limit" on top boxes are tiny but you can put a lot more in them. My old monolock like the one youre looking at was some silly like 3kg. My monokey one is 10kg I think.

Soldato
OP
I honestly don't feel it but obviously it must have some effect but nothing noticeable.

The weight "limit" on top boxes are tiny but you can put a lot more in them. My old monolock like the one youre looking at was some silly like 3kg. My monokey one is 10kg I think.

Yeah, i thought 3KG was a bit low, but would only have maybe a bottle of water, some trainers and lunch in it, so would be okay.

The Monokey boxes tend to be a lot bigger though, too big in my opinion. A top box on a GSX650F looks silly enough as it is.

Back
Top Bottom