Walkways and paths

Caporegime
Currently mulling over a house I like, but unsure about the prospect of having a walkway right in front of the driveway.

Always told myself a big no no was buying a house which had a public footpath going past.

It's a well to do, low crime area, all newish build (5 years or so), intention is to live in this house whilst I rent out another property.

Was thinking about shrinking the front garden with a 6ft fence, which would add another 1/3 onto the rear garden, but want to avoid turning the pathway into an alleyway.

lV8wq5M.jpg

5o5BcSC.jpg

Thoughts?

Wouldnt bother me in the least.

Is that a hedge on the boundary - if so surely thats going to create an alleyway anyway

WHat probably would annoy me is the road beside it - is it a main road?

Last edited:
Don
For me, it would depend on whether that footpath is a thoroughfare and would be used as a main walking route (e.g. a route into the town centre).

Be cautious about planning to build a new fence / hedge there, the deeds in a lot of new-builds prohibit fences over a certain height (mine is 600mm) as they are going for an "open-plan" feeling.

Soldato
the open front garden might be for fire fighting vehicles / bin lorries etc if there isn't enough space to turn properly. There will be something in the initial planning application / Building Warrant with the reason for it though.

Soldato
I guess if you find out exactly what is part of your property's footprint then you can do with it whatever your able to do.

Larger drive would be my thought but I'd also look at putting some more conifers instead of those smaller bushes, run some more where that low fence is and keep them at bay and you'd have a reasonably private area there

Soldato
Is that path blocked at the end by a bollard or something ? I can't tell from the photo.

I'd want to see a barrier there to stop cars being driven down it by some tea-leaf or willy waving teenager. Cyclists and pedestrians yes - cars no.

Caporegime
TBH your car and garden would likely be safer without a 6ft fence blocking view of any criminal activity in your garden and if thats the type of area I suspect it is then you generally don't find many people walking around who don't live near you anyway

Tea Drinker
Don
You may have a restrictive covenant about hedge heights and boundary materials. I think I'd rather that than an alley though.

Reminds me of the inbetweeners when they trash the guys flowers with the golf club

mjd

mjd

Associate
Since buying our current house I have vowed that when we move again I will park up near anything we plan putting an offer on and just observe what the daily comings and goings are at different times of the day.
We only twigged after being here for a few months why the previous owner could only 'facilitate' viewings at 10 am on a Sunday. Turned out that the road we are on is a common rush hour shortcut between two towns. Dead between 10 and 4 and pandemonium at rush hour :(
Not really similar to your circumstances, but if you are concerned I would certainly consider a bit of amateur surveillance before signing on the dotted line.

Soldato
We did this when looking at houses and had found one we really liked, also, as it was christmas, we saw what kinds of xmas lights were up along the street, and thankfully the answer was not a huge amount!!! ;)

Associate
Could you not throw up a double width garage on the front lawn (planning permission / deeds / covenant / funds / etc permitting). Makes extra parking space, safer place to put cars in at night (lower insurance on that too as opposed to parking on driveway and also cuts down on the amount of grass you have to cut.....

Plus makes a great Man Escape room :p

Soldato
depends how busy the walk way is. my house and cars are directly opposite a pathway which is just a general path in a housing estate, however we are at the start and we get a lot of foot traffic.

Now I have never lived in such a busy area given the amount of houses but I find it a bit uncomfortable. Despite there being no crime, I have had a nice large floor vase smashed, dustcaps nicked and rear of a Nissan Nivara broken into for my lovely Halfords toolset.

If I could I would not choose to live in a place so close to the walking traffic.

As I say it really depends how busy the walkway is.

Caporegime
OP
Doubt you would get planning for a garage, which is a shame! Been round today, foot traffic is light, but the road is louder than I would like.

Yea Regy that's my worry really, don't want to be uncomfortable in my own home due to the odd idiot kid, I'd rather design such hassle out of my life, little cherubs!

Think I will keep an eye open for a similar house a bit further down the road :)

Back
Top Bottom