Want bigger TV, only got small alcoves.....

Soldato
Man of Honour
^I like the idea but imagine it would get pretty annoying after a while to keep having to pull it in and out. Especially as if pivoting you might struggle to get it level/consistent position each time, so you'd go and sit down on the sofa and be like 'FFS it isn't level I've got to get up again!!'

As mentioned by a doorway it is going to be a bit awkward if on an arm stuck out all the time.

To be honest I'm struggling to think of a good layout given the fireplace is out of bounds, my initial thought was on a stand in the window bay but I can't see anywhere for the small sofa to go in that scenario given the lack of wall opposite. Log burner in fireplace means you can't put a sofa in front of it, so I would resign yourself to a 'small' TV in that room and maybe put a bigger TV in another room if available. I think part of the problem is that the room is quite a classic layout but just a bit smaller than usual (or possibly a bigger chimney breast) - I have friends have a similar living room but they have room to put the TV on a stand in the corner between the fireplace and the bay window.

Soldato
^I like the idea but imagine it would get pretty annoying after a while to keep having to pull it in and out. Especially as if pivoting you might struggle to get it level/consistent position each time, so you'd go and sit down on the sofa and be like 'FFS it isn't level I've got to get up again!!'

As mentioned by a doorway it is going to be a bit awkward if on an arm stuck out all the time.

To be honest I'm struggling to think of a good layout given the fireplace is out of bounds, my initial thought was on a stand in the window bay but I can't see anywhere for the small sofa to go in that scenario given the lack of wall opposite. Log burner in fireplace means you can't put a sofa in front of it, so I would resign yourself to a 'small' TV in that room and maybe put a bigger TV in another room if available. I think part of the problem is that the room is quite a classic layout but just a bit smaller than usual (or possibly a bigger chimney breast) - I have friends have a similar living room but they have room to put the TV on a stand in the corner between the fireplace and the bay window.

it would only stick out the thickness of the tv and overhand the wall a little bit.

the only other option would be to do as we've been saying but in the other corner and move the sofa from the window to the opposite position (the inlaws have exactly this layout - the sofa sort of seperates the rooms)

Soldato
I have a TV mounted above the open fire in my lounge. The wall only gets a little warm to the touch, even with the fire burning for hours on end (less than 40°C), and in the 7 or 8 years I've had my TV there, I've had no problems. Those alcoves look ideal for a pair of speakers to hide in too...

A log burner should keep the surrounding area cooler than an open fire, too.

Of course, if you don't like having a TV mounted there for aesthetic reasons, then fair enough.

Here's mine:

Hifi.jpg

Soldato
OP
It is aesthetics really why I don't like TV's mounted on chimney breasts above a fire place.

Its not actually next to a door way either. That is where the old wall was in the front room before it was made open plan so behind it is another alcove which is part of the dining room so it wouldn't actually stick out too far I don't think and very little risk of it being knocked (I think).

I think getting some cardboard and cutting it the size of a 40-42" screen and seeing whats it like in various positions.

Here's a couple more angles to give you an idea of the space around it and where the alcove is situated in terms of the rest of the room....

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd be inclined to mount it on a swing arm and have it outside alcoves ever so slightly - a thin tv won't stick out too much at all so you shouldn't walk into it?

Horribly lazy image editing
zb2NmlI.jpg

edit - damn it, wot joelk2 said (maybe without mounting a portable sun under it though, the fusion is a pita to get out the carpet)

Yeh I could do that as your pic shows but just wondering for someone sat in the seat by the window how much would be blocked behind the chimney breast?

I'll have to have a looky and a play around with cardboard!

Soldato
I have a TV mounted above the open fire in my lounge. The wall only gets a little warm to the touch, even with the fire burning for hours on end (less than 40°C), and in the 7 or 8 years I've had my TV there, I've had no problems. Those alcoves look ideal for a pair of speakers to hide in too...

A log burner should keep the surrounding area cooler than an open fire, too.

Of course, if you don't like having a TV mounted there for aesthetic reasons, then fair enough.

Here's mine:

Hifi.jpg

Log burners tend to make the wall much hotter as you have an insulated flue and log burners are inherently hotter than an open fire - yours doesn't look too bad as its quite a low opening and the fire place will be acting like a heat sink preventing too much heat hitting the telly.

If I put my telly over the log burner (something I would never do) it would cook as the wall in the middle esp gets very hot at the bottom and is still very warm all the way to the ceiling.

Bracket will actually work better than I initially thought for OP as the cupboard overhangs the chimney already so will not make the telly look like its floating in the room as much!

Back
Top Bottom